1,5 half days in italy

ekent

Hi,
We will be travelling to Italy with our 3 year old in October. We are going to stay in Florance for 1,5 days and then we will rent a car and travel through Tuscany for another 1.5 days. I have thought of an itinerary looking like: Rent a car in the morning and drive to Chianti region (strolling the towns, some wine tastings..), then San Gimignano and then Siena. On the next day, we want to see some towns in Val D'orcia region (Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza) and then drive back to Fiumicino to catch a flight at 1720pm. My question is: In which town to stay overnight? I want to visit Chianti, San Gimignano, Siena and stay in a place near Montepulciano so on the next day I can see the town and drive through other Val D'orcia towns while going to Fiumicino. Is this doable in one day? Or should we call it a day in Siena? Since we have a toddler we may not move around as quickly and I want to be in our hotel no later then 7-8 pm. Seeking some suggestions..
Thank you all!

Ciao ekent, sorry, somehow had missed your first post!

Yes, I do think you're trying to do too much given you'll also have the toddler with you. It is also more likely you'll move slower than you plan, because these places also merit being walked all over and seen, you can't drive through any of them to see the sights.

So you'll basically have 1 full day in Florence, it won't be enough but should give you a taste of the city. You can walk around the area between the cathedral (duomo) and Piazza della Signoria and on to Ponte Vecchio to see just some of the main places from the outside.

So in Florence I'd suggest a B&B - here are some ideas that are central as well as a litte on the border of the center (still just 10-15 min from the cathedral):
Casa dei Tintori
Palazzo La Medicea
Johanna I
Johanna II
Villa Antea
Residenza Casanuova

The next day you can check out, pick up car rental and head south - I'd suggest skipping Chianti per se (you ARE driving through it in any case) and going straight to San Gimignano, then from there on to Siena. Spend the night in Siena, that way you have the evening and early morning to see it, then the next morning head south on the SS2 Cassia road out of Siena to drive through the Val d'Orcia. You want to head to Montepulciano, passing through San Quirico d'Orcia and Pienza and then on to Montepulciano. From there you'll be closer to the A1 to head straight down to Fiumicino. You won't have much time to stop and see things on this drive, considering you have to make it to the airport at least an hour or two before your flight, correct?
But you should be able to drive through one of the most beautiful areas in Tuscany, stopping in Pienza or Montepulciano for a quick lunch.

Hope you have a good time, that you don't feel too rushed and the taste of the region makes you come back another time for a bit more days!

For places to stay in Siena, check out this page: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/siena-city/