Florence/Tuscany travel advice

floridagrl

Hi there!

My husband and I are traveling around Europe in September and would love some advice!! We fly in to Florence on a Sunday around 5:30pm, with 4 full days to explore, and fly out around noon on Friday.

We were thinking of going straight to Sienna when we arrive and staying there for 1 or 2 nights. We would also like 2 nights in Florence. We will be renting a car, and were a little unsure on where else to go. So many places, so little time! Until next year anyway. :)

We are BIG wine lovers so would love to do tastings/tours, as well as see the major museums and sites. I've heard about Montepulicano and Montalcino also.

I know it's a lot to ask, but if you could provide any advice on where to go, stay, visit, and for how long, it would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Thank you so much for your help!

1 night in Florence, 3 nights in Siena or really close to Siena

Ciao floridagrl,

Four days aren't really that much time to see a whole a lot of Tuscany and if you think you might come back again, I suggest taking the time to slow down and soak in the atmosphere that is Tuscany... trying to see everything in a hurry makes so that nothing leaves a lasting impression.

If this is your first time to the region, I'd definitely suggest at least spending a whole day in Florence and Siena each. You can start with Siena or Florence, the car will be useful for the other days you have to explore the Chianti area and the area to the south of Siena (Montepulciano and Montalcino).

I'd actually start in Florence, spend one night in the city, then on your second day pick up the car and head out toward Chianti staying somewhere close to Siena. The following day visit Siena and Monteriggioni which is really close to Siena. On your fourth day visit the area to the south of Siena. But I suppose you can also start in Siena and do Siena the next day, then head to the south the following day, then on to Chianti and then Florence last so that you're here to catch your plan on the last day.

You can do wine tastings as you drive through Chianti and Montalcino and Montepulciano - you'll see several wineries have signs that lead to their shops and do it that way, remain flexible about where to stop at. Wine shops in Montalcino and Montepulciano will either offer wine tastings right there or send you to their estate nearby - many offer lunch or dinner tasting menus as well.

Hope you enjoy your short trip to Florence and Tuscany - I am sure you'll love it and end up coming back :)

I have always heard that the cost of living in Tuscany was extremely high. I can't seem to find any quality information on the internet so I thought I would ask people who have actually been there before. How does the cost of living compare to the states?

Last edited:
Cost of living certainly is not low in Tuscany but it is on average with the rest of Italy. Comparing it to the States is hard because cost of living also varies greatly in the US. Living in NYC is different than in living in Salt Lake City but it might compare to the cost of living in San Francisco. The differences in cost of living of urban vs. rural life in the States are not as wide in Italy.

It might be easier to provide you with some information if you have specific costs in mind, and if you ask for a specific reason. Are you considering visiting for a longer time period than a short vacation trip? Studying abroad? Let us know what type of information you want, I'll try to help out as much as I can!
:)

A Day out

Hi There
Myself and three sisters are coming to Florence for a day trip ages 50 to 60 some time between 13 and 18 september we are traveling by train from Arezzo to the train station Santa Maria Novella we would wellcome any help to make it a great day out.