HELP! Please Only have 5 days in Tuscany and Umbria

chezhelene

My daughter and I are leaving Venice on October 31 and driving to Tuscany. We are by passing Florence since we've both been. We have to be in Rome November 5. How do we plan these oh so few days to enjoy Tuscany and at least one day in Umbria? We want to visit at least one vineyard if not more.

We will so appreciate any help and direction you can give.

Thank you,
Christine

Me and my fiance visited Castello di Verrazano in Greve in Chianti.
They have a dinner + visit and degustation names It's Magic. That was really great.
Further south, we also visited Avignonesi in Montepulciano who makes Vino Nobile.
It really depends on what you want to see exactly.
If you can give us more information about what you like to do and what you would like to see that would help the people here give you more precise information.

ciao Christine,

Since you've both already been to Florence, I would suggest you spend your few days in the area around Siena - visit Siena if you haven't been and then visit both the Chianti wine area to the north and the wine area to the south where both Montalcino and Montepulciano are located (this is known as the Valdorcia area). The area known as the Crete Senesi is pretty neat, with its "lunar" landscapes, located between the Valdorcia and Siena. I would recommend looking into Podere Cunina which has apartments for 2 in Buonconvento which is in the Crete Senesi and is thus very central to all the places you'd be visiting. You can plan to spend a day in Siena, a day in Chianti and a day in the Valdorcia - you can visit a winery on these two days out.

For specific recommendations of wineries in each, look at these past threads:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/forum/moving-around-tuscany/205-getting-around-chianti.html
http://www.discovertuscany.com/forum/general-tourist-info/83-wineries-ourselves-rented-car.html

As Mathieu mentioned above, if you give us a few more indications of what you'd like to do, we might be able to give you some more ideas.

Mathieu: Did you end up doing a Brunello wine tour as well as a Vino Nobile di Montepulciano tour? Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip in Italy on the other thread :)

Thank you for Tuscany suggestions

I really appreciate your responses. We have made reservations at Villa il Poggiale 20 miles from Florence and will use this time for Chianti vineyards and touring places close by; then we have reservations in Montalcino at Il Giglio recommended to us by the wine estate Poggio Antico. I look forward to exploring the areas you recommended and when we return I will send a report on the B&B's and any memorable (or terrible) restaurants.

Thank you again for helping us plan this trip.

Regards,
Christine

No, we had some problems getting reservation at a Brunello vinyard since they were harvesting the week we were in Tuscany :(

We did go to Montefioralle as you recommended, it was great! Much different from the big wineries.

Also, I don't recommend to anyone to book more then 2 wine tours a day, it's just to much.... The tours of the cellar and the tasting take close to 2 hours and they all start on the hour. One day, we did a Chianti tour at 11h00am and then the Vino Nobile at 2h00pm and it was cutting it close.