Mother / daughter trip

intra

Hi, I am coming from California and joining my (21 year old) daughter who is studying in Paris and we are heading to Florence and Tuscany. We will arrive from Paris on a Thursday (flying into Pisa or Florence???) and have seven nights before heading for a couple of days in Venice (how to get there)??? We are open to plains/trains/cars. Can you suggest a good itenery? I think at least 2 days in Florence and want to go to Pisa & Lucca, Chianti & St. Gimignano then not sure? What would be the most fun for the two of us?

Ciao Intra, welcome on the DT Forum!
What a wonderful plan to share Tuscany with your daughter!

Paris has great daily direct flight connections to Florence, anytime during the day.
If you chose Florence has your base it will be very easy to reach most of the destinations you have mentioned.

There are plenty of solutions, I am sending you a few ideas to start building up your favourite itinerary:
For apartment rentals you may check a list of favourites on:
http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-apartments/

day 1 - Arrival in Florence
Stroll in town, get familiar with the dimention of the town, enjoy a nice dinner and get ready for a perfect following day.

day 2 - FLORENCE
Visit the highlights and if you are an art lover you may decide to add a visit to the Uffizi Gallery or the accademia Gallery to see Michelangelo's David.
Santa Croce district and its sideways, SAnta Maria Novella with the most antic pharmacy of the town.
You may decide to add a cooking experience in the afternoon which includes dinner, it would be fun to know other people and above all to taste local traditional recipes!
Some ideas for the Tours in Florence

day 3 - PISA
It is very easy to commute from Florence to Pisa by train. Train connections run usually twice an hour (check the schedule on TRENITALIA)

day 3 - LUCCA
Florence is very well connected with a train line to Lucca-Montecatini-Viareggio.
You do not need to rent a car, the town has a wide pedestrian area and very green ramparts where you can stroll or tour hiring a bike.

day 4 - FLORENCE
Florence: off the beaten track and shopping
Boboli & Bardini Gardens, Fiesole hill, Renaissance Palace, a hike to the Church of San Miniato up in the hill overlooking Florence...
To pamper yourself you may indulge the entrance to Gucci and Ferragamo museums in two of the oldest medieval palaces of the town or visit the panoramic Villa Bardini with the sculptures of fabric by Roberto Capucci.
According to the special interests and study of your daughter I could surely offer other more specific suggestion!

day 5 - CHIANTI
If you wish to explore the enchanted wine making area of Chianti you may decide to book a wine-adventure in some of the great wine estates spread in the countryside between Florence ans Siena and eventually stop in Siena for the night.
Here you can find some travel tips on possible experiences in the Chianti.

Overnight in Siena

day 6 - SIENA
A full day of sightseing and tasting of local goodies like almond biscuits, salami, cheeses will make your day in Siena memorable.

day 7 - SIENA SORROUNDINGS: Monteriggioni-san Gimignano
You may depart from Siena to visit Monteriggioni and San Gimignano on the way back to Florence, just for a night before the departure to Venice on the following day. Overnight in Florence

Since you are staying only a night I would suggest a florentine experience hosted by a local in a b&b. Friendly atmosphere, incredible generous breakfast in the morning, perfect place to reach the train station.
LE STANZE DI SANTA CROCE B&B, run by a welcoming host and curious solo-traveler, Mariangela, who also arranges fun private cooking classes in her terrace with jasmines in downtown.
http://www.visitflorence.com/it/bed-and-breakfast-firenze/

day 8_ departure to Venice
you can catch a train to Venice to VENEZIA SANTA LUCIA (central station in the lagoon) from Florence Santa Maria Novella Train station.

To choose your connection you can insert in the Trenitalia site:
to: VENEZIA SANTA LUCIA

Hope you will have fun in planning your trip,
we are at your disposal for any further detail or suggestion you may need
A presto! Elena

Last edited: