Montecatini

norma

We have booked an 11 night stay late June in Montecatini Terme staying at the Hotel Ercolini and are arriving at Pisa Airport at 19.20 hours would it be possible to get a train at this time of evening? Is the only other option a taxi?

We were thinking of using trains and buses to explore the area but would you recommend hiring a car for a few days as well, is it fairly easy to find our own way round driving?

We are both in our 60's.

We haven't been to this area before and are really looking forward to our trip so any help or advice is welcome, I have found the comments I've read on this site very helpful.

Norma

Dear Norma,
checking the Italian trains timetable, you should get easily the train to Montcatini even at that time of the evening: there're trains leaving from the airport every hour (19.30 - but maybe it's too early - 20.30 and 21.30, next will be then at 6.00 in the morning). You just need to check this site later, since up to now June train timetable has not been confirmed yet.
Anyhow, there are buses leaving from the airport to Pisa center where there are more trains to Montecatini. Leaving train aside...I fear the only other option is a taxi, but it's a bit expensive.

In Montecatini there are two train stations (direction: Florence, Lucca, Viareggio, Pisa where you need to change train if you want to go to other destinations) and a bus station where you may get buses to Lucca and Florence. You shouldn't have any problem in moving around most popular Tuscan destinations by public means, but if you want to visit other areas - such Chianti, Maremma, Garfagnana or the Etruscan Coast for example, you'd better rent a car.
You'll easily find your own way round here in Tuscany, it's not like driving in Rome or Milan (I suggest anyway to go to big cities like Florence, Pisa and Lucca by train or bus).

I hope you'll find my suggestions helpful, but feel free to write me again :)

We are considering booking a trip staying in Montecatini for 5 nights in January. I have maps of the city but I can't find the train station on them.
Also, when I look at the Tuscany maps for train travel, I can't find the Montecatini station their either.
We will be flying in and out of Milan - might we have bad weather in January - it appears to be a 3 hour trip.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Donna

That's because there are actually two stations in Montecatini: Montecatini Terme (abbreviated to Montecatini T.) and Montecatini Centrale (Montecatini C.).

See them here: https://goo.gl/maps/a1cFC ? there are two train icons, along a gray line with small cross markers along the way. If you click on the stations, you will see train times.

From Milan (it does get foggy in January and there might be snow up there too), you'll have to head south to either Florence or to Lucca before continuing on to Montecatini. So it might be a longer trip, depending on train schedules. You can check them on Trenitalia: www.trenitalia.com.