Planning a trip in September

bpaff

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy in September. We will be coming from a family/village reunion in North Central Germany. We are thinking about taking a train heading South through the Alps and wonder if anyone has any information on that. While in Italy we would like to spend a day or two in Venice, then some time in the Tuscany region, then a day or two on the Mediterranean, we heard Santa Margarita is supposed to be a must see. Then back to an airport that can get us back to the USA. We are looking for any suggestions you have. We would like to find a guide in these places to show us the highlights and hopefully make some good suggestions as to what else we can do.

There are trains leaving from Venice to Monaco in Germany, so I suppose there should also be trains for the opposite direction. Have a look at our trenitalia web site (click on the English flag on the top right hand of the home page).
Once in Tuscany, the MUST you can't absolutely miss out is Florence. I don't know how much time you plan to spend in Tuscany, so any suggestions about itineraries and places to visit are a bit difficult.
Anyway, if you decide to stay some days in Florence, from there you could visit the Chianti region (hiring a car is necessary) and then move to Siena towards the wonderful and panoramic Colligiana route.
Val d'Orcia is easily reachable once you get to Siena, so it could be another destination to visit.

Going North from Florence (instead to South towards Siena), you could visit Lucca (the one-hundred churches walled city) and Pisa (the town of the Leaning Tower), other popular and beautiful places of Tuscany. You don't need to rent a car, just check the train timetables leaving from Florence.

From there, you'll easily get to Santa Margherita Ligure (if I've right understood).

Buongiorno bpaff from Florence!
I am adding a reply to Chiara's post as far as the guided walk in Florence.
September will be a wonderful month to tour Florence and if you wish to have a guided walk with an English speaking local I remain at your complete disposal - just check out my site from my signature below!

Enjoy the trip preparation of your memorable vacation, see you in my hometown!
Happy Sunday
Elena

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy in September. We will be coming from a family/village reunion in North Central Germany. We are thinking about taking a train heading South through the Alps and wonder if anyone has any information on that. While in Italy we would like to spend a day or two in Venice, then some time in the Tuscany region, then a day or two on the Mediterranean, we heard Santa Margarita is supposed to be a must see. Then back to an airport that can get us back to the USA. We are looking for any suggestions you have. We would like to find a guide in these places to show us the highlights and hopefully make some good suggestions as to what else we can do.