Planning a trip to Pistoia, 10+ days to see Tuscany.....HELP PLEASE :)

Rachel B

I am so excited and do not know where to start? My mother and I are planning to travel to Pistoia Italy in order to uncover some family history. We want to go in early June of this year and would like to also visit Florence. I was thinking of flying into Pisa and stay over night there then make our way to Pistoia to spend at least 3 to 4 nights and then to Florence. How could I make this easy for me? We are not worrying about any language barriers at this point because I have been told that a lot of people speak English in the tourist areas.......should I have any concern about this? Also, I know that Pistoia is considerably smaller than Pisa or Florence but does anyone have any recommendations for that area? If I am landing/arriving in Pisa, what public transit would be the best for traveling to Pistoia from there? Any recommendations on places to stay in Florence? Thank you greatly for your advice!
Rachel

Dear Rachel,
you've been told right, there are many people speaking English in tourist areas, so don't worry, you shouldn't have any problem with the language.

From Pisa, the best public transport for reaching Pistoia is the train: have a look at this site for checking local timetables, there are trains leaving from the airport directly, you'll possibly need to change train in Pisa Centrale station, where there are many trains leaving to Pistoia and Florence.

Once you're in Pistoia, you may plan a visit of the old city center, which is really nice, and then arrange some explorations of the area by train: closeby you'll find Montecatini Terme, renowned thermal town (easily reachable both by train and local bus), Montalbano and Artimino, famous places for the production of wine - you may visit some winecellars and do some tasting as well - You could also pop out to Lucca, the wonderful walled city you may easily get to by train: believe me that it's really worth your while!

From Pistoia you may go to Florence by train (about 15-20 minutes) and stay some days there visiting the city and all its marvellous tourist attractions. Here you'll find also some suggestions for choosing your accommodation in Florence.

You won't find any problem in moving around Pistoia and getting to the other destinations you've planned to: Pistoia is well connected by public transportations to the other Tuscan localities.