Strange weather here... How is it in Florence (or Tuscany in general)???

Tmikey

Hello from North Carolina, USA! New member here, going to be in Florence for 10 days in late May. Our weather has been unusually wet and cold this winter for much of the USA, and am wondering if you folks are experiencing unusual weather patterns as well? Just trying to plan the wardrobe and such, you know, as well as activities while we're there. One thing that I really want to do is take a Vespa tour out to Chianti with my wife! BTW, great looking site, well put-together and nicely laid out. Glad to have found you! Thanks!

Buongiorno Tmikey & Squied!
Welcome on the DT forum! I see you have already checked the link about the average temperatures which might help you planning your wardrobe for the holiday:
http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-weather/average-weather-florence.html

Just a few days before your departure I would suggest you to check the most updated and reliable Tuscan service for the weather forecasts provided by the Institute LAMMA.

The LaMMA consortium provides environmental education and scientific information activities for primary and secondary schools in Tuscany, both in the form of specific projects and in response to requests from individual schools, with lessons arranged at the schools themselves or at our premises. The scientific and environmental information activities involve research sectors linked with meteorology, climatology, the carbon cycle, biometeorology, energy saving and environmental sustainability. They are based at the Scientifical division of the Università di Firenze next to the Florentine airport and they have a high tec satellite system.

The institute has a well done website in English therefore you can find the weather forecasts which will help you planning the wardrobe in any season!
Important: Temperatures in Italy are expressed in Celsius°.

http://www.lamma.rete.toscana.it/en/meteo

or

http://www.lamma.rete.toscana.it/meteo/bollettini-meteo/toscana
(The page is in Italian but with Temperatures related to each Tuscan province)

I wish you a great day, I am going to enjoy another fabulous spring day in Florence :)
Today we're about having 20° (68 F).

A presto,
Elena

Yep, Lamma has redone its website and now it is easier to read the weather forecast in English at the first link Elena shared above.

You can also see current weather forecasts for the next 7 days directly on our page: http://www.visitflorence.com/florence-weather/

I've been there as well last 2011 and to be honest I wasn't able to explore the city due to wet and freezing cold weather. Too bad I didn't research the weather for that particular month so it was a wrong decision. Anyway, I really love the food!

Sorry you got cold weather when you came mitchelleelvis01, those can creep up on you if you're not prepared... but in late May, that surely won't be the case.

Spring is in the air already here in Florence - of course, there can be some rainy days during the spring and packing with the weather forecast the week before your departure will also help.
Best travel advice is to always bring layers so that you can adjust during the day. While it is warm in the middle of the day now, the mornings and evenings are still cold enough for a coat!

I think you should definitely plan on doing the Vespa tour into Chianti - take a look at this one!

Glad you're finding the site useful and that you found us :D We're glad to offer help!

Still curious........

I think you should definitely plan on doing the Vespa tour into Chianti - take a look at this one!

Glad you're finding the site useful and that you found us :D We're glad to offer help!

Thanks for the link, Lourdes, that's the tour that I was considering! As far as the weather is concerned; I've done a lot of research into the averages for the time frame that we'll be there, but was wondering more specifically whether this has been an average year for you folks thus far, or if there have been any unusual weather patterns such as excessive rain or cold that I should be aware of. For example; Here in North Carolina, we have had generally warming days since mid-February (as is average for us), but once a week we'll have a serious cold front move through with freezing rain and snow! In fact, we just had an unexpected ice storm move through here last Thursday night which put about 400,000 out of power for three days, what a mess!

While I realize that the weather that you've had up till this point may not at all reflect what we'll see in late May, I'm still curious...
Thanks!:cool:

Actually I think it has been more mild than usual here. My family is in San Diego and they too have told me how weird the weather has been there and all over the US. I understand you've been having crazy weather - too many storms causing power shortages as well as stranding people not used to such weather, like in Atlanta!

For us, this winter has been less cold and humid than usual - or maybe I am just getting used to the weather here ;) Hahaa, just kidding (sort of, but I really didn't even own a coat until I came to Italy ;) ), it has been unusually warmer than usual, but we have had some days when it would get rainy and colder just like it should be. But overall, it is milder than usual. For that reason - and because everything is starting to flower for spring - we really hope no super cold fronts come along. If they do, however, they generally happen now, right in March when they can cause problems for agriculture. We'll just have to wait and see - and maybe even hope May isn't warmer than usual!

One thing for sure - it isn't warm humid like the south here in general. The warm, muggy days are not the norm and, if they happen, it generally is in July or August.

Excellent!

Thank you so much! That is exactly the information that I was hoping to find! Now I need to see if there happen to be any reviews on your site for the apartment that we have rented through VRBO in Florence.

Thanks again, have a great day!