Combining a day in Chianti with Vinci

Mbtravel

Hello!

We are planning to spend a day Chianti just driving around visiting interesting towns and wineries in the area and have already gotten lots of ideas from this site. Thank you for that! It turns out that the place we are staying at near Castelfiorentino, is very close to Cerreto Guidi and Vinci - about 30 minutes to Cerreto. Would it make sense to start our day with Cerreto, move on to Vinci and then continue to Greve and then down towards Siena. We don't have to visit the town of Siena on the same day and can dedicated it fully to Chianti.

I see a lot of links to different wineries, but can't quite figure out whether we can just stop by to taste their wines without booking a tour or making a reservation in advance.

Thank you!

You can definitely start the day off in Cerreto and Vinci, and then head on to Chianti. Depending on how much time you have, you work your way down - definitely don't expect to make it to Siena! Take time to stop and see Greve, Panzano and Castellina and enjoy the views.

A lot of wineries do require some type of advance notice for visits but not necessarily for wine tastings, it really depends on how they're organized. If you want to not worry about booking, then your choice will be those that you find along the road - there are several before Greve and around Panzano, as well as many "enoteca" in the towns that offer the chance to taste many different wines. In Greve, for example, the Wine Museum lets you taste ALL of the wines of the area! So it is great to stop there and get a chance to taste several different estate's wines in one stop.
If you have a chance, go to Montefioralle just before you enter into Greve. It is a tiny medieval hamlet on a hill behind Greve, it is very quaint and a great place from which to enjoy the views. The Vespucci family lived there, look for the house with the "vespa" or wasp over the door ;-).

You can definitely start the day off in Cerreto and Vinci, and then head on to Chianti. Depending on how much time you have, you work your way down - definitely don't expect to make it to Siena! Take time to stop and see Greve, Panzano and Castellina and enjoy the views.

A lot of wineries do require some type of advance notice for visits but not necessarily for wine tastings, it really depends on how they're organized. If you want to not worry about booking, then your choice will be those that you find along the road - there are several before Greve and around Panzano, as well as many "enoteca" in the towns that offer the chance to taste many different wines. In Greve, for example, the Wine Museum lets you taste ALL of the wines of the area! So it is great to stop there and get a chance to taste several different estate's wines in one stop.
If you have a chance, go to Montefioralle just before you enter into Greve. It is a tiny medieval hamlet on a hill behind Greve, it is very quaint and a great place from which to enjoy the views. The Vespucci family lived there, look for the house with the "vespa" or wasp over the door ;-).

Dear Lourdes,
Thanks a million for your recommendations. I actually have all these towns including Montefioralle on my list and just hope that there is enough hours in one day to visit them all. I was actually wondering if Cerreto and Vinci are worth a visit or whether we should concentrate on Montefiorally-Greve-Panzano-Castellina route. Very best wishes for the weekend.

I have to admit I have to still go to Cerreto and Vinci - there are so many places to discover and explore in Tuscany!! I've heard the Medici Villa at Cerreto is nice but better when there are events taking place while in Vinci the Leonardo museum is very interesting. If time is very limited, I'd probably suggest starting with Chianti and then adding on Vinci at the end, if there was time!