Three days in Tuscany

rdebeikes

Lourdes,
My wife and I are arriving in Rome late in the afternoon on Sept 18. We will stay in Rome that night. We then have three days, Sept 19, 20 & 21 to spend in Tuscany before returning to Rome on Sept 22. We want to start in Siena and then drive the region. Should we take the train to Siena and then rent a car? If we start in Siena, what are your best choices for us? We want to visit the smaller towns. Looking forward to your reply.
Richard

Ciao Richard,

3 days is not a whole lot, so maybe you could start taking advantage of seeing Tuscany as you come up from Rome. I'd suggest renting once out of Rome, to avoid driving there: take the train to Orvieto or Chiusi, rent the car there and then drive up to Siena.

On the way up, you can go to Montepulciano, stop by in Pienza and San Quirico. How about staying outside of Siena in the countryside as your base? I highly recommend San Giovanni in Poggio - we stayed there in April and really loved it. It is a great location to use to explore the area.
On your second day, you can start by heading to Montalcino, then head up to Siena for the rest of the day.
On the 3rd day, I'd suggest driving up past Siena and stopping in Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa and then head to Volterra.
Head back to Rome on the 22nd....

The entire area from Montepulciano to Montalcino is wine regions so make sure to enjoy the fine local wines and Pecorino cheese in Pienza.

If you like what you see, hope you return to see more of Tuscany, drive through Chianti, spend more time in Siena and in Florence! ;)