My schedule for 5 dys in Tuscany - Your expert opinions pls

madan.kumar

Hello All,

I'm from Bangalore, India. I've been to Italy before - Rome, Venice et al. This would be my first trip to Tuscanny

Below is my schedule
Day1 - Florence (Uffizi & Academia)
Day 2 - Day trip to Siena
Day 3 - Day trip to Cinque Terre (
Day 4 - Day trip to wine regions of Tuscany (Chianti or Valdorcia)
Day 5 - Florence (Duomo & city wandering)

Base - My base thru this trip is Florence & during the 3 day trips, I plan to return back here.
Transport - Public transport only & no driving.

Do you think this schedule is workable?

Request your expert advice. Thanks!

Ciao Madan.kumar,

Your itinerary looks pretty good and doable. Florence is great to use as a base, since many buses/trains leave out of here.

Expect the day you go to CT to be a very long day, take the earliest train out of SMN to make the most of your time.
When are you coming to Tuscany? Asking because CT can be quite crowded and hot in the summer.

Everything can be done by public transport.... except Day 4, whether you go to Chianti or Valdorcia. Both do have buses to reach them, but the schedules are really bad... a lot of your available time is wasted.
For that day, I'd recommend joining a tour so that you can be driven directly out there and get to see the area as well as do some wine tastings - take a look at all of the offerings on here.

Hello Lourdes

Thank you so much for your expert advice. I see your knowledge of this region is prolific.

I'm planning to be in Tuscany to do this tour between the 19th and 23rd of September. I picked the shoulder season looking at the crowds and heat.

I'm very happy to undertake the tour to Valdorcia & Chianti from Florence focussing on the natural beauty of this region. I see a large number of tours....do you recommend any specific one, just covering that region in 6-8 hrs. I loved the cycling tour also.

You're very welcome!

September should be a very good month, for Tuscany and for Cinque Terre. I agree, there are many interesting tours on there..... I'd do one of the Chianti wine region tours, with tastings or lunch or dinner included. There are several, with option of smaller groups or a cooking class included but this one really sounds interesting (and delicious ;)).

The bike tour is also interesting.... there are lots! it really depends on what appeals the most to you, I don't think you'll end up choosing wrong no matter which one you choose.

Hi Lourdes! I can see that you know your way around Florence/ Tuscany. My husband and I are planning on going there for a vacation, any suggestions on what month is the best for us to come? We do not have an itinerary yet, so it would greatly be appreciated if you could give me some suggestions. thanks in advance.

I think September and October are great months to visit, as well as April and May. So see what works best for you from these months.

The other ones are fine too... but summer is pretty crowded and it gets warmer... the winter months are different. Less crowded and a bit colder but if you're used to the cold, then late fall and early spring are also very good months with less crowds all around.