Tuscan/Italian law regarding recorking wine

Mike C

We will be visiting Tuscany for a three week period and we will be driving a rental car for two of those weeks. If we drive and go to a restaurant or enoteca and order a bottle of wine and do not finish it (due to driving), can we "recork" it and take it with us for later consumption? In New York State we are now allowed to do this in hopes that DWI's will be reduced.

I don't believe there is a law against the open bottle of wine in the car, but I could be wrong. No one will say anything about taking the unfinished bottle away with you if you don't finish it at the restaurant... just ask to have it corked as well as possible for it to not spill. And then, just to be safe, I'd put it in the trunk, way away from the driver. Maybe you could consider getting a study bag that will stay upright, since if it tips over red wine can stain! ;)

Recorking wine-restaurant

I don't believe there is a law against the open bottle of wine in the car, but I could be wrong. No one will say anything about taking the unfinished bottle away with you if you don't finish it at the restaurant... just ask to have it corked as well as possible for it to not spill. And then, just to be safe, I'd put it in the trunk, way away from the driver. Maybe you could consider getting a study bag that will stay upright, since if it tips over red wine can stain! ;)

Thank-you for your quick reply. The advice about the upright bag and trunk is excellent and will be followed.

Section 28-3A-20.1, Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter to the contrary, a person holding a license to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the licensed premises may permit a customer to remove one unsealed bottle of wine for consumption off the premises if the customer has purchased and consumed a portion of the bottle of wine on the licensed premises.

I agree Uomo Grasso - I've banned her from the community. We are unfortunately constantly under automatic spamming (although this one didn't seem like it), and I do my best to delete & ban as soon as I can. Slowly, the number of spam has reduced and many are caught automatically and go into moderation so they can't be seen.

Since we are currently working on redoing the layout of the entire site, an upgrade of all of these external applications is on our list! The new year will bring changes we hope our loyal visitors and friends will appreciate ;-).