Tuscany in March

Stephen

Hello!

My partner and I are researching a trip to Tuscany in March 2010. We expect to spend about 5 days in Tuscany, with a bit of time hiking, sightseeing, enjoying good food and wine.

Realistically, how is the weather in March? Are there warmer and drier areas of Tuscany than others in March? Any good recommendations for areas to see in March?

We would like to spend a couple of days touring Florence but possibly still stay outside of the city. Any recommendations for agritourism that would be quick and easy access to the city for day trips?

If we only have 5 days, what do you recommend as an intinerary?

Thanks for your help!
Stephen

A trip to Tuscany in March

Dear Stephen,

I have to say that Tuscany is beautiful all year around (luckily for us :D). There are certainly areas that are better in spring or summer, but they still are beautiful. Chianti and Mugello are blooming in March.

In March generally the weather is not too bad. It's still cold but sunny during the day (temps are about 10°C) and nights are still cold. But it isn't too rainy or cloudy. Flowers and trees start blooming and fields start to turn green again.

Tuscany is a small region, but there is plenty of things to see. I don't know if it's your first time here, but I suggest you visit Florence, Siena and Chianti for sure. They all deserve a visit.
Since you intend to hike I recommend you visit the Mugello area. It's close to Florence and offers many outdoor activities, as well as hiking. Here are some accommodations I recommend in the Mugello area:

• Farmhouse La Topaia - it's near Borgo San Lorenzo and within 25 km from Florence. It's a Renaissance Villa surrounded by green hills. The farmhouse offers both apartments and B&B accommodation.

• I Nidi di Belforte Farmhouse - located near Dicomano, not far from Florence, I Nidi di Belforte is a nice family-run farmhouse that offers finely furnished apartments. There is a an equestrian center nearby and you are definitely our in nature, just a few km from the start of the Casentino forest where you can go hiking.

• Fattoria Il Lago Farm Apartments - This farmhouse accommodation near Florence offers fully equipped apartments. It also offers a wellness center, jeep and quad tours, rental bike and much more. Within the farm there are also 4 trekking paths. It is just outside Dicomano as well.

• Frascole Holiday Apartments - the farmhouse has 5 comfortable apartments also just outside of Dicomano. The farm produces wine and offers both wine tastings and wine cellars tours as well as an archeological area which can be explored.

I suggest you rent a car so that it will be easier to move around. All accommodations have private parking and are well connected to Florence with train as well.

Regarding a possible itinerary - you can stay in Mugello for the 5 days since it is so close to Florence and other parts of Tuscany. You could spend 2 days in Florence and 1 day hiking and discovering the Mugello area. The other 2 days you can drive to Chianti and then to Siena. On your way to Siena you can stop in San Gimignano and Monteriggioni. In Chianti, you can stop at wineries for some tastings. Take a look at this article about wine tastings in Chianti to read more recommendations about that.

Let us know whether this is useful and whether you need any more ideas! :D

Last edited:
Hi!

Hi Stephen!
As Valentina said the whether in March is not that warm, but you could always have a wonderful time!
Could I also suggest you spend some time in Lucca? It's a wonderful area! If you overnight there you could make some day trips to Cinque Terre, Carrara Marble quarries, Pietrasanta and Forte dei Marmi, Pisa.
Have fun!