Florence war cemetery.

joseph

Hi
My sister and I are planning to visit the grave of our Uncle who is buried at Florence Cemetery.
Any advice as to the bus routes.
We are staying in central Florence near the main railway

thanks

Joe

Hello -

I am going on the assumption you are speaking of the American (as opposed to the Commonwealth) Cemetery.

As per the bus, you can use the SITA (pronounced see - ta )- they are normally large blue colored buses and the main pick-up place is right next to the Florence SMN train station. You will be looking for the bus that has a final destination of Poggi Bonsi, and the stop is Terme di Firenze.

My suggestion is to write an email to iacono @ abmc.gov (or Florence @ abmc.gov ) and let him know you are coming. (Note that I put spaces in the email address, you need to take them out :)) ) That way they can be prepared with the location of the grave site and provide you more exact info on how to arrive depending on where you are actually staying. Iacono is very friendly and speaks wonderful English.

Buon Viaggio.

Joe

Hello Donna Denise
Thanks very much for your repsonse.
I didnt give enough detail.
We are coming from New Zealand and Australia.
Our uncle is in the Commonwealth Cemetery, Via Aretina, 38 - 50061 Girone.
I will though, write to Iacono.

many thanks

Joe

Commonwealth Cemetery

Actually Iacono will not be able to help you with that trip - he is the American cemetery (all the way on the other side of Florence ... and they are not connected).

You can take a bus which will take you to the town of Girone, the cemetery is easy to find and open all the time. I, in fact, was there just this weekend...it is a lovely setting. The graves are divided by country and I believe that New Zealand is on the right handside.

I am sending you a link - let me know if it doesn't go through, this offers you several solutions using the local orange buses called ATAF - down side is you have to change a couple of times. You are starting in Florence city center and ending in Girone, Compiobbi just outside of Florence. Girone is the name of the small town and Compiobbi is a larger town near by. As you can see it really is a short trip...so if you want you could even taxi from the city center and it won't take long.
http://www.ataf.net/tp/bw.aspx?LN=e...enze+smn&ComuneE=Firenze&IndirizzoE=il+girone

With no change overs you can make reference to the link below for the blue SITA buses. The difference is that SITA normally goes beyound the city limits and ATAF stays within the city borders. You will be getting off at GIRONE.

http://www.autolineetoscane.it/dirett/o_fismn-pont.htm

Once you get off the bus you will turn left - so the bus is to your back, and turn left ... the entrance is less than 300 meters down the road ... there is sidewalk and a small path and it is all level ground.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Sorry - just checked the link for the ATAF doesn't work.

You can put in your hotel address for the start and the second address is via Aretina 38.

Joe Florence War Cemetery

Hello Donna

Thankyou again for you help to get to the cemetery.

all the best

Joe