Getting to Machiavelli's house from Florence

sixstrings78

Hello- I will be visiting Tuscany next week, staying at Camp Darby near Pisa. I'm planning on visiting Florence one day, but as I am a political science major I have a real desire to visit Machiavelli's place which I've read is about 20 minutes outside of Florence to the south. My question is, what is the best way to get there? I wanted to take a train from Pisa to Florence to avoid driving, but then I'm stuck with how to get to Machiavelli's place. How easy would it be to take a taxi or a bus?? Suggestions very much appreciated!

ciao

visiting Machiavelli

Hello -

in a car it maybe 20 min (of beautiful roads) but in a bus it takes a bit longer. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the journey just as much.

The bus station you will need is located very close to the train station (via Santa Caterina da Siena), and you will be looking for a bus that will take you to San Casciano - so 368A, normally the bus will have the final destination written on the front panel and yours would be San Fabiano. This bus runs 6 times a day on normal work days - and takes about a half hour to get there. Be sure to get your return ticket right way.

Buon Viaggio.

Hello -

in a car it maybe 20 min (of beautiful roads) but in a bus it takes a bit longer. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the journey just as much.

The bus station you will need is located very close to the train station (via Santa Caterina da Siena), and you will be looking for a bus that will take you to San Casciano - so 368A, normally the bus will have the final destination written on the front panel and yours would be San Fabiano. This bus runs 6 times a day on normal work days - and takes about a half hour to get there. Be sure to get your return ticket right way.

Buon Viaggio.

Thanks so much for the info! So I may run into an issue with getting back if I'm not careful? How easy would it be to get a taxi back to Florence? Is it "too far" out there for a taxi?

getting home

You will surely find a taxi at San Casciano - it won't be cheap, that's for sure.

But my experience is that the bus time schedule is pretty spread out from morning to evening. It's not like all the times are ONLY in the morning. If you get there in the morning (buses start at 9:15) then you should have time to walk around, absorb, eat lunch and still make it back to Florence. It looks like the last bus is around 6:30 PM towards Florence

thanks again! sounds like I'll be covered no matter which I choose. Is there a place I can find the bus schedule you're referring to? I'll have a wife and 4 kids in tow so logistically this should be "fun." :D

Here's the schedule: http://www.acvbus.it/orari/368-370.pdf

You can buy tickets in Florence that are for the return trip, that way you just don't have to worry about getting them anywhere in San Casciano and just get back on. They are generally tickets valid any time, you just "stamp" them in the machine as you get on to show time and date and that way it makes it valid for your trip.

The bus station in Florence is right across from the train station as Donna mentioned above, there is a ticket office so you shouldn't have problems in getting tickets there.

Enjoy the adventure with the family :)