Want to plan a 7 day trip to Tuscany

Mike91181

Hi everyone,
Me and my better half are looking at going to Tuscany in 2015. I have never been to Italy before and have done a little bit of research into Tuscany but clearly the best people to ask are the ones who have been there and done it. So we are wanting to know the best time of year to visit? We are looking at basing ourselves in Florence and using public transport to get about the region. Is this a good base or can anyone recommend anywhere else? With travelling about what are the best places to visit to see as much of Tuscany as possible without hiring a car? Sure I will think of more questions over the coming months and look forward to having much welcomed feedback to my thread :)

Favorite time to visit Tuscany

Just to be clear - Tuscany is beautiful all the time!;) But if you were going to be traveling here for the first time I would suggest spring and fall (May or Sept & Oct). Weather is mild, prices are mid season and the normal tourist rush is not so ... rush.

Having said that, I suggest that you look at making Florence your home base on the front end of the visit, stay here for a couple of days, visit the museums, people watch, absorb a bit of the city life and make use of the excellent public transport to get around to Pisa, Lucca, Arezzo, Cortona even Siena. Then plan a couple of days in the south of Tuscany or Chianti area so you can appreciate the Tuscan countryside. There are several farmhouses where you can rent an apartment or B&B's withing walking distance of a small town. For example: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/candida-bing-chianti-house.html

Buon Viaggio

Thank you for the reply, have had a look at the farmhouse you recommended and was very impressed by it. Would you recommend us hiring a car for the countryside leg of our Tuscany holiday or continue to use public transport to get about?

Dear Mike,
we're happy to hear that you have chosen Tuscany for your holiday. We think that our region is beautiful all year round. Probably it would be better for you to rent a car. This because without car it will not be easy to see the wonderful countryside around Florence and Siena, as for example the Val Di Merse, the Chianti area, the Val d'Orcia etc. If you have other questions, get in touch with us, we'll be happy to help you.
Tourist information office/Proloco Sovicille
info@prolocosovicille.it

While you can get to Candida's house easily without a car, you will need it to drive around and see the countryside at your own pace. There are so many places you can't reach without because the options offered by public transport are lacking, so I really think you should rent the car to have your own means of transport! :)

Thank you again everyone for your replies and help with my planning. Am struggling to get a direct flight to Florence from the UK in April, I can get a direct flight to Pisa but am unsure then the best way to get from there to Florence via public transport. Will keep Florence as my base for approx 4 days then hire a car and venture out into the countryside for the remainder of the holiday (hopefully get a nice Fiat 500 to run around in :D), hope im going the right way about planning this holiday.

Direct flight

Even flying into Pisa is not a bad option, there are several buses that do the trip from Pisa to Florence and you spend less than 10 Euro a head...it is fast and convenient.

However I thought that City Jet (London City) and British Airways flew direct?