Tuscany Trip Help/Idea's Needed!

Catoy

Hello, My husband and I are going to Italy next year for 3 weeks. We will be going on a river boat cruise out of Venice for 7 days first. We will be touring that area then. After the cruise we would like to spend two more weeks in Italy. We do not plan on going to Rome though this trip. We thought we would get to know Tuscany and other areas!!

We would like to only stay in 2 places, a week each. Can you recommend 2 areas which we good see the whole experience of sights, wineries, and of course the food!! We would like to rent a car for only 1 week if possible. We do want to see Cinque Terre area also. We are open to lodging, though I like B&B's and farm house's better than hotels. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Thank-you!!!

Last edited:
Ciao Catoy,

What time of the year are you coming over?

As far as areas, I'd suggest staying closer to the coast for 1 week - maybe in the area between Pisa and Lucca. That way you could go to CT as well, either right before or as part of the first week.
Then I'd suggest moving more inland, anywhere around Siena - either to the north in Chianti to be closer to Florence or to the south to be closer to the Val d'Orcia area. It is very central, so moving about in any direction is still pretty easy to do.
We always recommend B&Bs and farmhouses and contact with the owners as the best way to experience the region and enjoy a special holiday - take a look at http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/ to start browsing and contacting owners for next year, if you're coming in high season it isn't too early to start planning.

We arrive September 21st but need to be in Venice on September 27th for a river cruise. Then we are available October 4-11th.

Ok then by the start of October in Tuscany you should be fine, right when high season has ended. Start with the coast, when the crowds have gone but weather is still nice ;-) You'll stay closer to Venice at the start, I imagine?