Wine Tasting in Chianti

Natalia

Hello,
My husband and I will be spending 7 days in the chianti area in late October 2015. We have a few questions as we try to pin down a budget.

We will be renting a car after visiting friends in LaSpezia, then driving south stopping in Pisa,Livorno, and Volterra before settling in at our farm stay just south of Siena. The next six days we want to wander around, explore old towns, window shop, and most of all, take in the beautiful countryside by visiting many of its lovely wineries.

Because we have little means to make this trip, we must do everything as inexpensive as possible. I have read other forums on how many wineries offer free tastings while most I have seen advertise 10-20 euros a person. I am a little unsure how much to budget and whether or not I need to make appointments in advance for each winery we will see. We were hoping to explore and choose a few once we arrived, is that imprudent? We prefer small, off the beaten path places and scenic views. Could anyone please make us some suggestions of wineries that have nice settings, and offer free or inexpensive tastings or tours?

We are thinking of spreading out our week between these areas:
Greve, gaiole, castellino
Montepulciano and montelcino
Siena and San Gimignano
Maremma

Is it reasonable to plan two wineries a day and a town to explore, then back home for dinner?
I know I have a lot of questions and I appreciate so much all of your suggestions and insight!!! Thanks!!!

Natalia

Chianti Wine Tasting

It is not unreasonable to plan on two vineyards and a small town a day - ambitious but not unreasonable.

October is the end of the season for many vineyards and olive season (may or may not) have begun, so not all of them will be open for tasting because they are taking a bit of a vacation or because all hands are out picking olives.

It is definitely in your favor to do some searching before hand, because many would prefer an appointment and you'll find you get better service that way. My experience is that though there are many who do the tastings...they are not always evident and easy to find just by driving around.

The cost of 10-20 Euros is pretty much par for the course, and normally that will include 3 - 4 wines. You should always ask before paying because many will drop the charge if you buy a couple of bottles from them...which may even out the cost (and be well worth it!)

Just this November I happened upon http://www.ilmolinodigrace.com/ with some family and was generously given a free wine tasting and a visit, this is near Greve in Chianti. And one of my favorite place to visit for wine tasting http://www.roccadicastagnoli.com/sito/frontend/2eng/ where I have always found them to be (delicious) and reasonable when it comes to paying and buying and this is near Giaole in Chianti

I also had a wonderful experience with my sister at with http://www.agriturismopietrafitta.com/en/winery-san-gimignano-tuscany.html however it was summer and they were open to the public otherwise you need to reserve.

Buon Viaggio