3 days 2 nights

allen

Hi to all members, I,m new to your site and need your help, I plan to travel through Tuscany from around Follonica and ending at Lake Como, I will be in Tuscany on 29th March.
We enjoy Italian food and wine, we also enjoy driving through scenic routes, not really interested in cities but we do like small towns and villages.
any advice will be greatly appreciated
thanks
Allen

Around Tuscany 3 days and 2 nights

Dear Allen,

It looks like you're planning a nice trip to Italy.

Since your starting point is Follonica, I suggest you drive along the Tuscan coast which offers beautiful towns and landscapes. Here some towns that really deserve a visit:

- Massa Marittima overlooks the Colline Metallifere (Metal-Bearing Hills) in Maremma. It has a splendid white marble Dome and an interesting fountain called "Fontana dell'Abbondanza" (Fountain of Abundance), because of its paintings.
- Campiglia Marittima is a fascinating medieval village whose past history is strongly related to mining. Close to it stands the Archaeological Park of San Silvestro that traces the history of this mining area since the Etruscans.
- Castagneto Carducci is the birth place of a great Tuscan poet, Giosuè Carducci. He made it famous through his beautiful poems. Characteristic is the main avenue that leads to the town flanked on both sides by cypresses.
- Bolgheri has a charming castle and is famous for its wine production, wines that you can taste in local wineries and wine shops. In its surroundings is the WWF Natural Park of Bolgheri.

Driving North you can stop at Castiglioncello, Quercianella and Livorno. Then I suggest you stop at Cinque Terre and spend a day there to see it. You can find more information about Cinque Terre here:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/forum/general-tourist-info/277-our-trip-italy.html
A Weekend in Cinque Terre

I hope these suggestions help you planning your trip. If you want other suggestions or were thinking about different areas don't hesitate to ask.

I also hope you'll share with us your experience when you'll be back home :D

Thank you

Hi Valentina,
Thanks for your sugestions, I should of explained that we are traveling to Follonica from Monaco, we are in southern Spain at the moment leaving here on 25th March and traveling back to the UK via Italy,Switzerland and Germany reaching home on 7th April, we can't wait to spend a little time in Tuscany and yes of coarse I will post our experiences on this site, it will be my pleasure, thanks again for your help
Allen

Ciao Allen,

I concur with Valentina's suggestions. As you travel north along the coast, if you've never been to Pisa and seen the Leaning Tower, then I wholeheartedly recommend a quick stop along the way.

Tuscany will be just a small part of your wonderful European holiday then!! You will find an abundance of good food and wines along the coast, wherever you stop, since most of the places mentioned above are small and cater to local tastes which demand great food all of the time :) Cinque Terre and Pisa are the only ones that are more on the tourist route but you will still find good food and wine there, just stay away from those restaurants that look to cater only to tourists.