7 day honeymoon itinerary

hmfs2015

Ciao,
We are getting married in Sorrento end of June 2015 we will then have 3 nights in Rome will finish in Florence for 4 nights. In-between Rome and Florence we have 7 nights free and want to relax in the heart of Tuscany. We will be arriving to our currently unknown destination by train from Rome.
We have looked all over but are still looking for a base to enjoy our surroundings. My partner does not want to drive as we are prone to getting lost. I have read that Greve and Castellina make good bases if you don't have a car? Is there anywhere better suited?
We would love to take in some wineries and see some sights, are there any hints and tips on where, what to see and how to get there. We are looking to eat drink and be merry.

Thank you for your help

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I think the best base without a car would actually be Siena... maybe San Gimignano as well, although it is a little bit harder to move around from there without a car but not impossible. Top of my list would be Siena - very central and easy to get to places on bus or train from there. Also doesn't have the feel of a large town at all, and I love the medieval atmosphere.
You can also find great tours run by local companies that will take you into the heart of Chianti (or Brunello or Montepulciano wine regions) to enjoy the wines along with great food! In Siena, you don't have to stay in the center if you want to enjoy a pool and sun - there are villas and farmhouses within the city boundaries that have both and would make it easy to take a bus to the train or bus station to then head out elsewhere.
Greve and Castellina are great and very central - but very difficult to get to (and move out around of) without a car.