Tuscany in July, coolest locations

Sue on holiday

Hi

We want to come to Tuscany in July but myself and my children don't really like too hot weather. Where would be the cooler areas? Or will it be hot everywhere?

We just want a week relaxing in mid July, we are not beach people but like good food a swimming pool and close to a village.

There are four of us and we would like a luxury villa

Thanks

Buongiorno! During the past years, seasons changed a lot....so it is not possible anymore to say that in June, July and August it is always hot in Italy or that April and November are very rainy....in 2014, for example, I remember two very hot weeks in May and a rainy summer, which was quite unusual...
Generally speaking it is "cooler" in the hilly (so higher) tuscan countryside than close to towns. There are a lot of beautiful estates with swimming pool around Siena or Florence. If you see something you like, you could ask for the altitude. Have a look at our website www.prolocosovicille.it, you will find a lot of interesting and useful information.

Ciao Sue,

July and August used to be the hottest months of the year, but this is mostly really felt in the cities, particularly Florence as it is in a valley.
Most Tuscan towns, as well as farmhouses are all located on the top of hills and thus generally enjoy nice breezes that even in July and August make being outside very pleasant and enjoyable, especially if there's a pool by which to hang out by.
The higher elevations are definitely cooler - while the coast is great because even when it does get warm, you have the beach nearby to enjoy.

Having said all that, these last two years have been different, as Pro Loco above has mentioned. This year, in particular, we had a very rainy July and August, so much that OCTOBER turned out to be nicer and warmer than AUGUST! It was a magnificent month, perfect weather.... but that goes to show that something is definitely up and altering weather patterns to one extent or another.

In July, I'd definitely recommend a place out in the country, with a car so that you can stay at a farm house or villa apartment and have a swimming pool to enjoy. How old are your children? Here are a few I recommend often for families with kids, as they have playgrounds, pizza nights together and a few have animals to keep the kids busy and entertained. All are not far from villages, but even then, the car will be handy to move around.

Agriturismo Montalbino
Agriturismo Vernianello
Podere Casanova
Agriturismo Incrociata
Fattoria il Lago
Tenuta Quadrifoglio

Let us know whether you have any other questions we can help out with!

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions.

My children are actually 15 and 12 so they have got to the age of only wanting a swimming pool and Wi-fi.

I would like somewhere that is 'cooler' as my previous post and clean.

My husband would like a shower and is very interested in cookery.

Thought a villa would be good, with two or three bedrooms (can have two bedrooms if second room has twin beds) perhaps on a site which has a couple of other villas but not too many. Which us also not much further than an hour away from an airport. We all love eating!

Does anywhere you know fit all these criteria?

Thanks

Ciao Sue,

I'd recommend any and all of the places I linked in my post above - all are clean for sure, family-run and have showers. It is actually getting harder to find places with tubs. Most offer free wi-fi too.

If you're interested in a cooking class, you can inquire with any of them whether they will organize one for you... or you can contact the ladies at Kitchen Chez Nous (I'm linking to my interview with them here) and have them come out to wherever you end up staying.

With a 12 and 15 year old, I'd highly recommend Vernianello above.

A few more I'd add to the list are:
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/tenuta-moriano.html
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/borgo-della-meliana.html

These, along with Fattoria Il Lago (linked above), would be the "coolest", just because of their houses being on hills.... and they also have several villas divided into apartments that might be more to your liking (whereas some of the others are apartments within one single large villa).

All of them, being in the central area of Tuscany to the east or south of Florence, are within an hour from the Florence airport.

If you want to fly into the Pisa airport, you could also stay closer to the coast. I'd suggest maybe heading into the Garfagnana valley, where at that point you have the mountains all around. Barga would be good, but if you have a car, any place here would be great. Actually, the Wind Cave might be something your kids might enjoy too. For lodging there, take a look here.

You won't have problems with the food part, as all of Tuscany offers great cuisine based on local, fresh quality ingredients!