Best Location for Wine Tasting

Michael68

My wife and I will be in Tuscany in May, 2016 for one week. Among our interests are the wines of Chianti, Montalcino, and Motepulciano. We also want to visit Val d' Orcia region. When considering accomodations, does it make more sense to stay in one location and do day trips from there or reserve accomodations in both the Chianti and the Val d' Orcia regions? We will have a rental car for the entire week. Can you recommend towns we should consider? We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on this trip. Thank you for any assistance.

Answer

Buongiorno!
You could stay somewhere in between....the little village "Sovicille" is located in the beautiful countryside around Siena - from here you can reach the wonderful town of Siena after only 13 kms, Chastellina in Chianti (one of the charming, little villages of the Chianti-area) after 30 kms, and Montalcino (one of the little towns of the Val d'Orcia) after about 50 kms. Probably it is more relaxing to have a central base for the time you will be in Tuscany and move around by car.
Have a look at www.prolocosovicille.it and you'll find a lot of useful information or get in touch with us, we will be happy to help you. info@prolocosovicille.it
Arrivederci in Tuscany!

Choosing location

Hello,

I know some people think it is a lot of work to pack your bags and move around. Personally the wine areas of Chianti and those of Val d'Orcia are so different that I would change locations. One it would probably cut your travel time and two because both areas truly deserved to be "lived."

Some of my favorite areas include around San Gimignano and definitely around the the area around Bagno Vignoni for Val d'Orcia.

You could look at B&B options in both areas -

in Chianti http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/chianti-bed-and-breakfasts/

and in Val d'Orcia http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/val-d-orcia-bed-and-breakfasts/

Buon Viaggio

Donna, thank you for your suggestions. We are focusing on Greve in Chianti for 3 days and Buonoconvento in the Val d'orcia for 4 days. In each case we will stay at an Agriturismo and gain exposure to winemaking, olive oil production, honey production, and saffron harvesting. We would take day trips to Florence, San Gimignano, Volterra, and tour the Chianti countryside from Greve. On the drive to Val d'orcia we will see Sienna. From Buonoconvento we would see Montalcino, Montepulciano, and Cortona. On our drive to Rome for our departure flight we will visit Orvietto.

In addition to touring the historic sites and enjoying the Tuscan food, we plan to taste the wines from each of the regions: Chianti and Super Tuscans in the Chianti region, Vernaccia in San Gimignano, Brunellos and Rossos in Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano in Montepulciano, and Orviettos in Orvietto.

Does this itinerary make sense? Are we overlooking an area of particular interest? We will be arriving in the first week of May, 2016. I believe tourist crowds should be lesser then one month later.