Tuscany in august with kids- itinerary advice

Dalia

We are planning on staying in tuscany during the last week in august with our kids (ages 6-15). We are looking for interesting things to do with them that are fun. We rented a villa near Lucca and plan on biking the walls of Lucca and visiting the town one day. We also found a chocolate factory in the area that offers tours, which we hope to do. And of course the leaning tower of pisa. We also plan on visiting Sienna on our initial drive from Rome to Lucca. Last, I just found out about a children's festival during that time period (San Genesio Festival) an hour away from Lucca. Can you recommend anything else to do not too far from the Lucca area? Perhaps a local swimming hole, horse back riding, etc..... I'm looking for things that will be somewhat relaxing, memorable and not too educational and I'm not sure how much patience they'll have walking around any other towns (after Sienna and Lucca). My husband wants to visit the Cinque Terri but I think that's too ambitious with the kids.

Activities with Kids Near Lucca

Buongiorno,

Here are a few ideas for you to look into:

there is an interesting network of boardwalks along the Massaciuccoli Lake, as well as a Roman villa you can explore ... best of all its right between Lucca and the beaches so you could explore the lake and the villa then head over to the beach for some waves and sand castles....and the park is free.

Another activity that I have done recently, specifically to see if it would be kid friendly is explore the forests outside of Pistoia where for more than 80 years the Ponte Sospesso (Suspension Foot Bridge) in the Abetone mountains near Popglio (it was the longest suspension foot bridge in the world until only recently) - YES it is fun. Not only is it free, but you can walk it as many time as you like, visit the lake and river below and picnic in the park

I have also taken my neice horseback riding in Lucca and had a very good experience - www.luccahorseriding.com

Have FUN!

Buon Viaggio