Italy in Sept-first time Tuscany itinerary advice please - 6.5 days

Anna_S

Hello All

We - my husband, myself and 12yr old son - will be visiting Italy for the first time this Sept. Our accommodation is booked as follows:
13-17/9 Venice
17-20/9 Cinque Terre based in Vernazza
20-26/9 - Tuscany farm stay 3km from Pari
26-29/9 - Rome

For our 6.5 days in Tuscany we will have a car (which we will pick up from Pisa after leaving Cinque Terre). After researching this is what I've come up with and would be interested on hearing thoughts/suggestions of others (including if there is anything I've missed).
Day 1 - train to Pisa. Explore Pisa & pick up car. Drive to accomodation/Pari. Settle into surroundings
2 - Florence
3 - Chianti & San Gimignano including Greve
4 - Val D'Orcia - Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino
5 - Siena & Monteriggioni
6 - ?
7 - half day Florence (drop off car). Train to Rome early afternoon.

My questions:
Your thoughts?
Too much? Not enough?
Food, small villages, and countryside is what appeals to us (much more than museums and art)
Thermal springs - we'd like to do - what day would best suit?
Weather at this time?
Will there be any sunflowers about?
Spots for best views/photos?

Thanks for your help

Tuscany in September

Buongiorno!

Here are some suggestions;

1 - train to Pisa. Explore Pisa & pick up car. Drive to accomodation/Pari. Settle into surroundings
2 - Florence
3 - Chianti & San Gimignano including Greve
4 - Val D'Orcia - Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino
5 - Siena & Monteriggioni
6 - Sovicille, the Abbey of San Galgano (with the sword in the stone - very special place!), Chiusdino and Radicondoli
7 - half day Florence (drop off car). Train to Rome early afternoon.

Your thoughts?: Nice itinerary!

Too much? Not enough?: Day 3 is probably too much. The Chianti area is a wonderful area. I would suggest you the following tour: starting from Siena: Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Gaiole in Chianti and, if you have time; visit of the wonderful Sculpture park in Pievasciata.

Thermal springs - we'd like to do - what day would best suit?: day 4 you are very close to Chianciano Terme!

Weather at this time? difficult to tell as the seasons have changed a lot. Normally September is a very beautiful month, not too hot, not too cold...

Will there be any sunflowers about?; Probably not, sunflowers flourish in late july / august.

Spots for best views/photos?: Everywhere - Tuscany is very beautiful

Itin for September

Buongiorno,

your itin looks well thought out and very complete.

when you are in the Montepulciano/Pienza area you might want to stop by Bagno Vignoni, not only is it an interesting town but there is a small pool open to the public where you can enjoy the thermal waters.

You might just enjoy having one day with no program - that way you can enjoy the area in Pari where you are staying or it gives you a chance to program something new that you discovered while visiting, or even go back to some place you really like the first time around and want to go back again before you leave.

My only other suggestion would be that you might want to flip flop the day in Chianti with the day in Florence so you are not coming into Florence on a Monday (and missing the museums) and because those areas are a little bit closer to home and you can enjoy a more leisurely ride.

Buon Viaggio