7 days in Tuscany ideal location to stay as a base

laney475

Hi all,

My husband and I are traveling to Tuscany in early August and will be staying for about a week. I was wondering what might be a convenient area to stay in so that we can explore the area a bit? We will be renting a car. I am hoping we can stay in a villa or farmhouse with a pool so we can relax when we want to but can jump in the car and explore nearby towns as well. We would also like to visit Siena and possibly Florence if we have time....either by car or public transportation. Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate any insight so we can make the most of our trip!

Thanks much,
Lena

Places to stay in August

Buongiorno Lena,

August is always a busy month in Tuscany because it is filled with tourists - both foreign and Italian. Sometimes the further you away you are from the majoy sites the more peace and quiet you find. But you will still have easy day trips to the cities of Florence and Siena.

I have spent quite a bit of time in Casentino, a valley southeast of Florence and I am always pleasantly surprised at how much tourism has NOT changed the way they are, the restaurants and general hospitality. A place like Borgo Tramonte will have great views, and lots of space for outdoor activities as well as easy access to the incredible history surrounding the area and Florence. This includese a huge national park for hiking, antique churches and castles as well as lots of great restaurants!

Another area which I have always enjoyed visiting is Buonconvento, where you could check out the place San Giovanni in Poggio. In fact Lourdes and her family stayed there this year and wrote an interesting article about the place and owner.

Buon Viaggio