Car hire

Craig

Our family of four will be visiting Italy in September for the first time and will be travelling from Rome to Siena where we will stay for 5 days then to Greve for 3 days and finally to Cinque Terre.
I am not experienced with left hand drive so was going to avoid driving in busy cities.
Should I collect a hire car in/near Rome or take a bus to Siena and collect the car in Siena?
Where would the best town to collect a car from be?
Where would the best place to drop the car off be in / near Cinque Terre (Vernazza)?
Am I able to drive to Cinque Terre from Greve without going through Florence?
Where should I arrange parking in Siena?
Do you have car hire companies you would recommend as being reputable?
Many thanks Craig

Driving to Siena

Buongiorno,

It's really not a bad road for driving to Siena, for the most part you will be on a major highway so I would imagine that it is easy to remember to stay on the other side of the road - and will give you some practise before attempting the smaller back roads.

If you are not planning on doing any day trips while you stay in Siena then maybe it would be best to bus/train it to Siena from Rome and then pick up the car at the last minute. However, if you want to base yourself in Siena and explore I suggest picking up the car. Ask the hotel/accommodations about parking nearby or you can also check out this article which gives you some more information.

You can get to 5Terre without driving thru any city centers ;-)

Buon Viaggio