Lucignano to Siena

roadgard

I will have a car, staying in Lucignano (Arezzo) and want to visit Siena for a day trip (long day) and have ample experience driving around Tuscany. My question is would it generally be easier (ignoring cost) to drive and park in Siena or take the bus from Lucignano?
If drive then which better parking area- I don't mind a substantial walk.
If bus then where would I expect to get off; how late could I get a return bus?
I have been to Siena before, but 12 years ago and don't know the city any worth speaking of.
Thank you for any advice.

The trip from Lucignano

Buongiorno,

I have taken the trip from Lucignano to Siena several times and since they have enlarged the road (several years ago :p), I actually think it is quite a lovely drive. There is some beautiful scenery which is very unique to the area, and several great places to stop for photo opportunities. You can also look at a side trip to Serre di Rapolano and Castelnuovo Berardenga along the way.

As you enter into Siena, the parking areas are actually well marked. And for more detailed information on the parking I suggest you read here: http://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/tourist-info/parking-lots-in-siena.html

Buon Viaggio

I'll add to Donna's reply by adding that you can head to the parking "Il Campo" - at the very bottom of the hill as you turn off the Cassia Road onto Strada dei Tufi there is now a parking lot there which I believe is free.... so you can leave the car there and grab the bus that takes you up the hill to Porta dei Tufi and into the center!!

Okay, that's helpful. Thank you.
Now, I have looked a the map and the list of parking garages, and all of the first four on the list seem good to me, easy walking distance. So next, which of these is easier to get into/out of without arousing a ZTL?
More generally, is there some service or web site that gives detailed instructions about how to get to parking garages without violating ZTL; for Siena or other cities?
Thanks again.

ALL of the parking lots in Siena are right by the entrance into the ZTL - if you follow all signs for the parking lot, you WON'T go into the ZTL. It is when you deviate that you run the risk.

If you want to stay further away, there is that parking I mentioned above at the very start of the strada dei Tufi.. but there is also paid street parking right outside the Porta ai Tufi so if you don't go in under the gate, and just park on the street there, you won't run the risk of entering the ZTL.

At any time, if you see poles with cameras and signs that say ZTL - avoid going through there! that is for all Italian cities! I have yet to find a useful resource on the subject - there is this one http://www.accessibilitacentristorici.it/ that is only in italian and so info on it is not current, so it could be good starting point but do not depend on it.

Lourdes,
Thank you. you have been very helpful. I looked at Goggles street view of going into the Campo parking lot at Porto dei Tufi, and I can handle that. it is not at all clear how one gets out of there without hitting ZTL. It appears that the roads around the parking lot are one way.
What am I missing?

You have to go into the Il Campo parking lot to NOT go into the ZTL and go in, then out to go back out without risking the ZTL. We learned ourselves t has to be done that way. you don't pay for passing through the lot.