3 Days South of Florence

rmtatara

Hello Lourdes: My wife and I are coming to Northern Italy this October for a 15 day tour we have put together by ourselves. We are booked into all the towns and hotels, including 2 days in Florence (near the central train station), with the exception of 3 nights we have left open to tour the Tuscany region. We generally want to get a feel for the Tuscany countryside, tour the smaller towns and heritage sites, and taste some wine. We seek your guidance on a good itinerary.
On Wednesday October 14 we plan to leave Florence in the morning to start our tour. Since we are close to the train station, we think it might be best to take the train to Siena and rent a car there, versus going to the airport in Florence. It is easy to get a car in Siena? We might catch a highlight in Siena, but we really want to get out into the countryside. We have planned all-day Wednesday, all-day Thursday, and all-day Friday for touring Tuscany. On Saturday October 17 we plan to turn in the car - likely back in Siena - then take the train to Pisa for a quick photo of the Leaning Tower, followed by taking the train to Cinque Terre where we will spend 2 nights (this is already booked).
We seek suggestions on where to go and what towns to stay in Tuscany for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights.

Picking up your rental

Buongiorno,

I suggest that you consider picking up your car in Florence, the ride alone to Siena can be quite an interesting tour.

If you are nervous about picking up the car in the city center (there is a car rental near the train station) you can catch a taxi to the airport, from here you have easy and quick access to the major roads leading towards Siena.

I would suggest winding down the back roads, including the Chiantigiana for some wine tastings and then head towards Siena. The next day you can explore Val d'Orcia and the Creti Senese. On the third day you can head north again visiting San Gimignano, Volterra and the countryside (and more wine tasting ;.) and you will end closer to Pisa, which you can fully enjoy before dropping off your car and heading towards CT.

Buon Viaggio
Donna Denise