Itinerary help

Daniellepatric

My fiancé and I are in the beginning stages of planning our wedding/honeymoon in Italy next June. Due to paperwork requirements, we will legalize our marriage in the states, but we want to exchange our vows in Italy. We are currently trying to decide between a couple of intineraries. We will be in Italy June 18th-July 3rd and want to spend time in Tuscany and Cinque Terre and possibly Lake Como.

Right now I am trying to determine if we should fly into Florence and out of Genoa. This would give us two weeks to explore Tuscany and the riviera. Or if we should fly into Florence and out of Lugano, giving us a week in Tuscany and a week split between cinque Terre and lake Como. I wouldn't expect anyone to make this decision for me, but if anyone sees any pros or cons between the two choices, I would love to hear!

The next question is where to stay in Tuscany. We will arrive on June 18th and plan to get married on June 22nd. Our exchange will be simple, just the two of us with an officiant, a beautiful view of rolling hills or grape vines and a lovely dinner in a city or village. I'm not sure if we should split our time in 2 or 3 places in Tuscany. Currently looking at spending 2 nights in Florence and moving to the country for 3 days to get married, and then finding a third place to stay. Any thoughts?

A little about us.. We enjoy eating, drinking wine, cooking classes, beaches, sightseeing, driving in the country, and enjoying beautiful landscape at a medium pace. I am a bit more fast pace and he is very slow paced, so we compromise and usually take half day trips on vacation, spending the morning exploring and the evenings relaxing.

Kind regard,
Danielle

Tuscany

Buongiorno,

Sounds wonderfully romantic!

I can't offer you much on the Lake region, however CT is a lovely place to stroll around and will definitely provide you with lots of beautiful memories (both for the slow & fast paced)

Since you are already looking at moving around quite a bit ( the lakes, CT, Florence) I suggest that you looking at finding one place to call home in Tuscany. This way you can have some fun preparing for your exchange of vows - then spend the next few evenings enjoying the beauty of the place you selected. So many times couples don't get a chance to really "live" their accommodations. There are many areas that are quite central which will allow for easy day trips so you can leave and get back still in time to watch the sunset and sip your glass of wine.

I would suggest you look in either the Montespertoli area or in the area of Castellina in Chianti. I have heard great reviews about Borgo Sicelle: it looks like an excellent place to have a wedding.

Buon Viaggio,

Thank you so much for the suggestions! That looks like a lovely place to spend a few days relaxing! Although I want to see the lakes, I also want to actually experience a few places in depth. We might skip lake como and spend the two weeks split between four places; Florence, chianti, cinque Terre and maybe portofino? I have been to positano on the Amali coast and I absolutely loved it. I am fighting the urge to go back so that I can see a new part of Italy because I don't see myself getting back to Italy anytime soon after this trip. Do you think that the Italian Rivera is just as nice as the amalfi coast?

Any other suggestions if we choose to fly into Florence and out of Genoa?

Kindest regards,

Danielle

You won't go wrong in dividing your time between Florence, Chianti and CT/Portofino -- these last two will rival your memories of Amalfi, they are both quite spectacular and beautiful in their own way (and very scenic just like Positano, on a smaller scale as each of the five towns are smaller).

If you do cut out the lake area, then it makes perfect sense to fly in to Florence, out of Genova to avoid any backtracking!

This sounds like an incredible trip to Italy.

I highly recommend you spend your time in Tuscany and the Cinque Terre, there is so much to see and do, the last thing you want is to be rushing form one place to the next without truly experiencing the town or city. Take the time to relax and just take it all in.

I wish you the very best.
HitchedinItaly