Comments on itinerary

vickieandtim

Hello all and thank you for a wonderful forum with great information.
My wife and I are planning a vacation in September 2016 and have tentatively set the following itinerary:
Arrive Friday September 1 in Paris (Day 1)
Day 1, 2, 3, 4 Paris
Day 4 Take overnight train to Venice
Day 5 and 6 Venice
Day 7 Early train to Florence
Day 8 Florence
Day 9 through 14 Tuscany (one home base with day trips. Plan to rent a car)
Day 15, 16, 17 Rome
Day 18 Depart home in morning

We will get more detailed, especially with the six days in Tuscany, as time goes on. But these are the cities we would like to visit given our time frame.
Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.

Tim and Vicki

Your holiday in Italy

Buongiorno!

All the towns on your itinerary are very beautiful! They are very different one from the other but all of them are worth seeing! The only thing I would add is one more day in Florence (it is a big town with a lot of things to see and to do)...

It is a good idea to choose a base and to rent a car for the time you have in Tuscany, so that you can see a lot of this beautiful Region. Sovicille, for example, is a nice, little village at only 13 kms from Siena, it could be your base.

Day 9: Sovicille, cloister of Torri, the Abbey of San Galgano with sword in the stone, Chiusdino and Radicondoli.
Day 10: Siena
Day 11: Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa and San Gimignano (if you have time, include Volterra)
Day 12: choose another bigger town like Lucca or Pisa or Arezzo ...
Day 13: Chianti (Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti and Gaiole in Chianti and perhaps one wine-tasting)
Day 14: Val d'Orcia with Montalcino, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni (perhaps one wine-tasting)

Of course there is a lot more to see, I only gave you some ideas!
If you need more infos, get in touch info@prolocosovicille.it

I wish you a wonderful time in Italy!

Itinerary ideas

Buongiorno,

You have put together a very comprehensive program and as far as time goes I think you have managed your days well. You might want to consider adding another day in Florence - but then that would really depend on what you thought you might want to see in Florence. A day and a half (or two days) would give you plenty of time to visit the sites and include at least two museum.

The ideas that Sovicille has offered are very well thought out as well, if I were to suggest anything I would say

Day 9: do your day trip to Lucca / Pisa first. You could leave Florence (pick up your car) and drive to Lucca and Pisa, then choose to stay near San Gimignano. Check here for some ideas: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/san-gimignano-bed-and-breakfasts/

Day 10: Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa and San Gimignano (I think Volterra is beautiful but it would make an extremely long day) Stay overnight at San Gimignano

Day 11: Chianti (Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti and Gaiole in Chianti and perhaps one wine-tasting) sleep in or near Siena

Day 12: Siena

Day 13: moveand stay a night towards Sovicille, cloister of Torri, the Abbey of San Galgano with sword in the stone, Chiusdino and Radicondoli.

Day 14: another night in the same area Val d'Orcia with Montalcino, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni (perhaps one wine-tasting)

Buon Viaggio

Donna Denise