Need on help on a week stay around Tuscany, with a 6-year old

Bluocto

Hi there,

I need help figuring out a good itinerary around Tuscany after Christmas.
We'll arrive Tuscany from the Netherlands around the 26th. If i'm not mistaken, the only direct flights from the Netherlands land in Pisa. If that's the case, we probably are going to spend a few hours in Pisa before leaving for Florence by car. Plan to stay about 2 nights in Florence (is that enough?) before heading out to San Giovanni Rotondo by way of Tuscany (Siena, Montepulciano, SG, etc) and Assisi.

Since we will be traveling with a 6-year old, I'd like to have a nice easy drive and really enjoy the scenery and food and culture.
And any not-to-be-missed towns or activity during that time of year?

Thank you so much...

Events not to miss in December

Buongiorno,

I suggest you read the article about events in December which will give you a better idea of the activities all through out the month.

If you are going to be staying in Florence then perhaps you should look at taking the bus or train directly into Florence and do Pisa on your way out. You won't need a car in Florence, and you can save on the rental. Pick up the car in the city on your day heading out of Italy you can visit Pisa. (unless you are not flying out of Pisa?)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna

If you are not flying out of Pisa, I would suggest doing Pisa first (you can leave luggage at the Centrale train station) and then taking the train into Florence -- you DON'T want to drive in Pisa's or Florence's ZTL limited traffic areas and get a fine. And worry about where to park - in Florence, you won't need the car at all as everything is within walking distance. If you really want to get the car, specifically look for a hotel or B&B that takes care of offering parking and alerting authorities of your entrance into the ZTL to reach them so you don't get a fine.

Here's more info on the ZTL in Florence:
http://www.visitflorence.com/tourist-info/driving-in-florence-ztl-zone.html

and more info on the December events in Florence and ideas for Christmas in Florence.

Hi there,

Thank you for great suggestions. I will check out the events in December links too.
We won't be flying back to Pisa. So I'll take the suggestions to take train to Florence instead.

Few questions:
1. What would be a best area (or even a hotel name) to stay in Florence that is conveniently located (city center or around duomo)?
2. Any suggestions on not to miss town to visit and stay? Maybe between Siena and Montepulciano.
3. I heard about great outlet center near Florence. Is it accessible by train?

Thanks again.

If you are not flying out of Pisa, I would suggest doing Pisa first (you can leave luggage at the Centrale train station) and then taking the train into Florence -- you DON'T want to drive in Pisa's or Florence's ZTL limited traffic areas and get a fine. And worry about where to park - in Florence, you won't need the car at all as everything is within walking distance. If you really want to get the car, specifically look for a hotel or B&B that takes care of offering parking and alerting authorities of your entrance into the ZTL to reach them so you don't get a fine.

Here's more info on the ZTL in Florence:
http://www.visitflorence.com/tourist-info/driving-in-florence-ztl-zone.html

and more info on the December events in Fltorence and ideas for Christmas in Florence.

Good - you can rent the car out of Florence once you're ready to leave the city.

1. Anywhere in the historical center is good, Florence is quite small and you can walk everywhere. I'd suggest a B&B - either Casa dei Tintori or the Antica Dimora Firenze or Johanna residences would be great! 2 nights in Florence is the minimum you should stay, with those two full days devoted to Florence... otherwise, if you're counting the first day you arrive and spend half the day in Pisa, I'd suggest spending a 3rd night in Florence
http://www.florenceaccommodation.com/florence-bed-and-breakfasts/

2. I would suggest renting the car once you're ready to leave Florence - and driving down into Chianti. You could wind your way to end up in Siena by the end of that day you drive out. Visit Greve, Panzano, Castellina and then San Gimignano before heading to Siena.
Spend the next day in Siena before moving on... if you want to see the Val d'Orcia area, you could dedicate a whole day to it as well, and spend the night in the area (or back in Siena) before heading south - or head south by the evening toward Assisi.

3. There are two outlets near Florence - the Mall and the Barberino outlets. Neither can be reached by train, but both can be reached by bus from Florence. You can read more here:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/what-to-do-in-tuscany/shopping/outlet-in-tuscany.html

Thank you so much for the info. We plan to stay 3 nights in Florence, 1 night in Siena and Assisi.
Thanks again.