A few days on Elba Island

Beez

My husband and I and some friends will be staying in Tuscany at the end of May, 2016. We would like to spend a few days on Elba at the end of our trip. We will have been renting a car while in in Tuscany and I am wondering if we should have one on Elba as well. In order to make the most of our time on Elba, would having a car be a good idea? We will come over on the ferry so we could bring our rental with us, presumably. Would 3 days be enough to get a good idea/appreciation of the island?
Also, any recommendations on where to stay would be appreciated.
Thank you.

my opinion

To properly visit and enjoy Elba, a car is usually reccomended. People with alot of time to spare can get around it by walking. For 3 days i would say walking is possible but not advised.
You can take your car there with the boats. Prices vary depending on date, time of day and car specs (bigger cars=more expensive). Fairs range from 50 to 150 (these are extreme's) and average around 80 euro for a medium car + extra for passengers.
Last, 3 days will be enough, but it might not be easy leaving not matter how long you stay xD!

To properly visit and enjoy Elba, a car is usually reccomended. People with alot of time to spare can get around it by walking. For 3 days i would say walking is possible but not advised.
You can take your car there with the boats. Prices vary depending on date, time of day and car specs (bigger cars=more expensive). Fairs range from 50 to 150 (these are extreme's) and average around 80 euro for a medium car + extra for passengers.
Last, 3 days will be enough, but it might not be easy leaving not matter how long you stay xD!

Thank you so much, Leonardo, for your helpful reply to my Elba inquiry.

End of May is a wonderful time to visit Elba, we were just there at around the same time this past year. The "season" had not really kicked off yet so many places were very enjoyable, although the water was still on the cold side.

A car is most definitely recommended. There are buses that go around the island, but they are not at full running schedule by the end of May. I would suggest to just take the rental with you on the ferry and then have it to move around.

3 days are the minimum. We normally go for 5 to really relax and soak in the quiet so I would recommend you consider 3 nights there, with a 4th for travel time there and back.

Enjoy!

Public Transportation on Elba Island in September

Buongiorno,

When you look for accomodations on Elba be sure to check into parking for the car...it is an island and parking can be a bit scarce sometimes.

Have a look at this hotel on the island near the beaches and many sites:
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/hotel-ilio.html

or these apartments here are very picturesque:
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/la-vecchia-scuola.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise.

We'll be visiting Elba Island for four days the middle of September. Should public transportation be working full speed at that time?

Thank you!

Public transport Elba Island

Buongiorno,

Though many public transport schedules change with the start of the scholastic year - you will find that Elba Island still has a pretty busy season until October - so you should find that the public transport and ferry boats are still running very regularly.

Read through our articles on Elba for some ideas about what to do and where to go:
https://www.discovertuscany.com/elba/

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise