Home Base for discovering Tuscany countryside

Jody

Hello,

My sister and I will be visiting Italy in Oct. This will be her lst trip and my 5th.
We will be starting in Venice, going on to Florence and then would like to spend 4-5 nights in the Tuscany countryside and then onto Rome. I am seriously thinking about renting a car to give us more freedom and would like to know if the places on our list to visit are: Orvieto, Assisi, Montepulciano and other areas no farther than 90 min away, where would you suggest a home base for us?
I would like to train from Florence to a smaller area to pick up rental car and then drop it off at the same place and train to Rome for our visit and flight home.

We can see Siena and San Gimignano on day trips from Florence if we would like by train/bus.

I'm a little concerned about driving, but I know this is the best way to see the areas we would like to visit, In past trips my husband drives and I consider myself a good navigator.

I appreciate any help you can be to me in advance.
Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you.
Jody

my opinion

Hello,

Siena is in the 90 min distance range by car, asuming no or little trafic.

Now i do agree with renting a car to explore that far away from Florence. But do keep in mind, you will be surownded by some of the worlds best wines, and drinking more than half a glass will make it illegal for you to keep driving.

Home Base in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

Siena (or the surrounding areas) will make a great home base especially for the wide range of places you indicate that you want to visit.

You could either look into some place right around the city center (with easy parking since you will have a car) like:
Hotel Athena

or just a bit further away where you will have great countryside views:
Borgo Argenina
San Giovanni in Poggio

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise