Help around Tuscany

Hi I am intending to travel the main gastronomy parts of Italy for about 3-4 weeks from second week of May to End of May/ First week of June.

Tuscany will be one of my stops. I noticed Florence and San Gimignano are known places. Do you have any recommendations where would be the places to go for the food? To eat/ explore/ learn the food.

And what would be recommended for traveling because i cant drive...

i think based on the map, i will be coming from Rome and after Tuscany would be Bologna.

Still trying to find out as much as i can about Italy.

Thank you so much!
Victoria

Fun with Food in Tuscany

Buongiorno . . .

O my goodness, you would need months to try out all the great places to eat in Florence...and another couple of weeks if you want to add on San Gimignano!!

If you just want to have fun with food try out the San Lorenzo Food Market, it will give you lots of options all under one roof...and they love to talk about their specialties.

I just had dinner at Piazza del Vino (Via della Torretta 18 | Incrocio Via Campo d'Arrigo) and I loved that the menu was divided into regions of Italy with typical dishes from each area. A bit on the pricey side...but I really enjoyed the ambiance (nice even if you are single) and the quality of the wine & food. I had a tuna steak with a pistacchio crust (a dish from the south of Italy) And it was perfect. However if you are looking for local Tuscany dishes - the ones on the menu were authentic.

The last time I went to San Gimignano, it was June and I was with my sister. We ate outside at Le Vecchie Mura. We were enthralled with the landscape views and the food was excellent. We shared a pasta dish (ravioli with cheese inside) and a tagliata (a steak with parmesan flakes on top)....and we each got our own "dolce"...I wasn't about to share that!! Reasonable price and like I said early great scenery.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

my opinion

Donna is right, trying all the places to eat would take months. But if you want to explore the good food culture of Tuscany, you need to go into the countryside.
Visit a cattle farmer and buy an original Chianina breed, Florentine steak.
Visit a goat farmer for some fresh cheese.
Sorry if i'm being very generic. I just wanted to say that while you can find good food in Florence if you know where to look for it, the Tuscan countryside is an entirely different experience.

Making it Happen!

Hi Donna,

Apologies for the late reply, the website did not send me a notification!

Thank you for the link i will go and look into it! I also read about a Thursday morning market @ Piazza Delle Erbe and thought to have a look, is the food about the same? San Lorenzo Market sounds like a good place to start, are they open all day?

Yes i know i can never eat everything even if i stay there my whole life! But i try to make the best out of it to get as much exposure as i can and learn as much as i can and try to experience the main foods that "represent" the area.

Perhaps we can meet for a meal when i am there, if you are open to it, if not it is ok.

For Tuscany, is there a "base camp" town that is best to stay with affordable renting of room and transport friendly around? For example to stay in Sorrento would be central to travel around to Naples/ Pompeii/ Amalfi. I intend to go to: San Gimignano- Greve in Chianti- San Minato – Florence (Should I go Siena and/or Isola of Elba?), i would be coming from Sorrento.

Many Thanks,
Victoria Loh

Buongiorno . . .

O my goodness, you would need months to try out all the great places to eat in Florence...and another couple of weeks if you want to add on San Gimignano!!

If you just want to have fun with food try out the San Lorenzo Food Market, it will give you lots of options all under one roof...and they love to talk about their specialties.

I just had dinner at Piazza del Vino (Via della Torretta 18 | Incrocio Via Campo d'Arrigo) and I loved that the menu was divided into regions of Italy with typical dishes from each area. A bit on the pricey side...but I really enjoyed the ambiance (nice even if you are single) and the quality of the wine & food. I had a tuna steak with a pistacchio crust (a dish from the south of Italy) And it was perfect. However if you are looking for local Tuscany dishes - the ones on the menu were authentic.

The last time I went to San Gimignano, it was June and I was with my sister. We ate outside at Le Vecchie Mura. We were enthralled with the landscape views and the food was excellent. We shared a pasta dish (ravioli with cheese inside) and a tagliata (a steak with parmesan flakes on top)....and we each got our own "dolce"...I wasn't about to share that!! Reasonable price and like I said early great scenery.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Last edited:
Traveling?

Hi Leonardo,

Yes i agree, so i did look into perhaps going to the vineyards in Greve Chianti but i am not too sure of the transport and if it is a good idea. Is there a place you would recommend?

For Tuscany i am thinking of: Isola of Elba (TBC)- San Gimignano- Greve in Chianti- San Minato - Florence

Any advice?

Many Thanks,
Victoria Loh

Donna is right, trying all the places to eat would take months. But if you want to explore the good food culture of Tuscany, you need to go into the countryside.
Visit a cattle farmer and buy an original Chianina breed, Florentine steak.
Visit a goat farmer for some fresh cheese.
Sorry if i'm being very generic. I just wanted to say that while you can find good food in Florence if you know where to look for it, the Tuscan countryside is an entirely different experience.

Transport Friendly

Hi Vittoria,

Florence is probably the most transport friendly place you could stay - since all trains and buses flow thru here - though you could consider Siena...smaller than Florence so it gives you another feel to the Tuscan city life.

There are a few places near to Florence, and with a short ride into the city you cn make use of the transport system - for example: Le Due Volpi or Poggio al Sole

Have Fun!

Donna Denise

PS just drop a note when your in Florence - if I am here too, may I can show you my favorite gelato place ;.)

Awesome!

Hi Donna, i will be staying in Florence!!! Let's meet!
Here is where i will be staying from 20-26May: Via Santa Reparata, 53, Firenze, Toscana 50129, Italy.

my email address is: victorialohjl@gmail.com
maybe you can email me your contact number so we can find each other? I will message you when i get my temporary Italian number.

See you!
Victoria

Hi Vittoria,

Florence is probably the most transport friendly place you could stay - since all trains and buses flow thru here - though you could consider Siena...smaller than Florence so it gives you another feel to the Tuscan city life.

There are a few places near to Florence, and with a short ride into the city you cn make use of the transport system - for example: Le Due Volpi or Poggio al Sole

Have Fun!

Donna Denise

PS just drop a note when your in Florence - if I am here too, may I can show you my favorite gelato place ;.)

Mercato Centrale

Buongiorno . . .

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

We were in Florence June 5-12, 2015. We purchased food, wine, cheese in the Mercato Centrale. What a great experience! On the second floor, there several absolutely wonderful places to eat. And another grocery store, Eataly. Don't miss it!!!

Ciao,
Diane

Gelato

Hi donna, are we still meeting? You can viber me +393917424845

Buongiorno . . .

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

In town on the 21 of May

Hi!

I was planning on being in town on the 21 of May because they have open museum night - happy hour and late hours in the museums.....

Donna