Tuscany in January

kellyfamily

We will be staying in Tuscany in early January next year. My question is are all the regular tourist spots open or do they close for a period of time due to the weather.

Thanks

Howard Kelly

The weather is not really bad in Tuscany during the winter, it primarily gets cold and rainy. It can snow in the mountains, but that at the higher altitudes.

Do you already know where you'll be staying? The area along the coast is the part that is most seasonal in nature, when the beaches attract many visitors during the summer and pretty much are sleepy towns in the winter, with many shops closed. But all of the main cities are open year round and are perfect in the off season when crowds are virtually non-existent. Aside from seeing some gelato shops take vacation in January or February, I would say pretty much stays open in the regular tourism destinations - Florence, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Siena... the towns in Chianti and Val d'Orcia are definitely quieter but still "open".

Hours

Buongiorno,

A lot of places have summer hours and winter hours - so if there is some place specific you want to (museums, wine tasting, etc.) be sure to check the hours carefully.

This isn't necessarily true in the bigger cities but, in the countryside they have a tendency to cut back on their hours.

Many places (restaurants and shops) don't start to close down for a "vacation" until the later part of Jan and Feb. right after the Italian Christmas holidays are finished. So like Lourdes mentioned, the towns are always open...but they are just a lot quieter.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

The weather is not really bad in Tuscany during the winter, it primarily gets cold and rainy. It can snow in the mountains, but that at the higher altitudes.

Do you already know where you'll be staying? The area along the coast is the part that is most seasonal in nature, when the beaches attract many visitors during the summer and pretty much are sleepy towns in the winter, with many shops closed. But all of the main cities are open year round and are perfect in the off season when crowds are virtually non-existent. Aside from seeing some gelato shops take vacation in January or February, I would say pretty much stays open in the regular tourism destinations - Florence, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Siena... the towns in Chianti and Val d'Orcia are definitely quieter but still "open".

we are going to be staying at II Ciocco Resort & Spa

Il Ciocco is a very nice resort, but I think the area will be very quiet in January --- other than right around the Eiphany, when Barga is well-known for hosting the Befana, Italy's old witch that brings coal to children ;)

You'll want to head down to Lucca and, from there, head inland to explore... the coast you will find lots of quiet. Florence, Pisa, Lucca itself, San Gimignano, San Miniato will all be good destinations, once you've exhausted Barga and the area around the Garfagnana.