Italy September 2016

Lamar

Buongiorno
My husband Larry and I are travelling from Australia to UK and Italy in September this year to celebrate Larry's 60th birthday. We are going to be hiring a car from Sorrento at the end of our stay there, and driving up to Tuscany on 16th September to stay 3 nights in a villa just outside Cortona and then onto a castle just outside Siena for 4 nights. We finish by dropping car at Firenze station and travelling by train to Venice to stay 3 nights before flying home to Australia. This is a trip of a lifetime for us and we want to ask your advice on how best to spend our time in Tuscany to enjoy the wonders it offers? We are looking at self drive as well as organised day or evening tours?
Grazie
Mary

Last edited:
Italy in September

Buongiorno!

for your days near Siena you could consider the following itineraries (4 nights);

- day 1:
Certainly the town of Siena which is wonderful and offers really a lot!

- day 2:
Drive to Sovicille (if day 2 is either a monday or a friday, you can stop at Torri - little medieval village at 5 min. drive from Sovicille, with wonderful cloister that is open only on those two days, from 9.00 - 12.00) and than you could reach the beautiful Abbey of San Galgano with sword in the stone - very special place. After this, turn back in direction of Siena by driving to Chiusdino and Radicondoli.

- day 3:
Monteriggioni - Colle Val d'Elsa - San Gimignano (and, if you have time) Volterra as well, very antique and interesting town.

-day 4:
the Chianti area with one wine-tasting.

Of course these are only some possibilities, there are so many things to see!

Have a great holiday!

Ideas for the trip of a life time

Buongiorno,

The response by Pro Loco Sovicille has some excellent ideas about the area towards Siena.

As for Cortona, have a look at this article about wine tasting in the Arezzo (and Cortona area) especial if your stay includes a Wed or a Sun.

As for dropping your car in Florence and moving to Venice - I would actually cut Venice back to two days - and spend a day touring Florence...afterall it is the captial of Tuscany - and it magical in its own way. :eek:

Check out my answer to another post on Venice with a restaurant suggestion.

Have a wonderful time!!

Donna Denise