Wine tasting in Tuscany in February

dolphannut13

Hi,

I'm planning a 2 week trip to Tuscany in Februrary, mostly because I've read it is cheaper, easier for both my wife and I to get time off, and it is less crowded and more "local" than other times of the year(we've both been during the fall). I, however, do not know if wineries are open mid-late February. We are planning on spending a few days in Florence, renting a car and renting an apt for 5 days in Volterra to tour Chianti region, then renting an apt for 5 more days in Montepulcino before heading back to Florence for the last 2 days. While the intent of the trip is to simply enjoy the beauty and local culture that is Tuscany, we DO want to get in a few wineries in both parts of Tuscany. I am aware of the need to book in advance for tastings, but are wineries open during the mid-late February months?

Thank!

Matt

Wineries

Buongiorno,

the first thing is - Volterra is absolutely beautiful but it is not part of the Chianti area. Having said that I would like to clarify that, 1) yes you can do a day trip (or two) to the Chianti area from Volterra easily and 2) there is lots to see around Volterra -- especially some very prestigious vineyards!

Wineries will be open - but mostly upon request. So do make reservations. Some are open but February and March are very much down months for the tourist operations and they have a tendency to close their shutters unless they have a request for a visit.

I just did a visit to Castello Monsanto (near Poggibonsi) and Fattoria Casa Sola (Cortine). They are both close to each other and very close to some great little towns (San Donato and Barberino)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise