What towns to visit between Rome and Venice for 2 days

lauriejb

My husband and I and 16 year old daughter are coming to Italy for 16 days in late July. After 4 days in Rome, we want to go to some nice hilltowns for two days/night before heading to Venice for 3 nights. My husband will then be leaving and my daughter and I will take a train to Florence for three night, and then will drive to Lavagna for 3 nights and fly home out of Milan.

1. What are some wonderful towns that a 16 year old girl would enjoy on the way to Venice. Should we stay in one town for two nights, or stay one night in each of two towns?
2. Should we rent a car and drive or take a train on the way from Rome to Venice?
When we are in Florence for three days, I would like some recommendations?
3. Are there great places to stop on the way to Lavagna?
4. Ideas for moderately priced accomodations in Umbria/Tuscany? Florence?

Towns to see

Buongiorno,

between Florence and Venice you can visit: Bologna or Ferrara. Both have picturesque historic centers and are very walk-able, since much is concentrated in the city center. However, the trip to Venice is less than three hours by car -- and by train. I just drove up and the ride was easy and the road in excellent condition - the total coast from Florence for tolls was around 12€. If you want to stop, I would stay in one of these two cities and enjoy the local "night life" strolling the streets, the cafes, lights and colors.

If you are going by car: once you get on the Autostrada del Sole to go north, after Florence the highway divides into two - each with two lanes each....stay to your left! There are no trucks and it is very panoramic.

Another place you can stop (between Rome and Florence) is Orvieto - great little town and a charming historic center. I did the underground tour (ticket office infront of the main church). It was my second time, and I found it just as good. A visit in the side the church is worth it, 3€ ticket.

Stops between Florence and Lavagna that might interest a 16 yr - Lucca (which should cover you and the teenager :cool:) and the beaches at Viareggio/Forte dei Marmi.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise