Fiber arts, weaving

JaneBLS

I will be in Tuscany for about a week (and Rome for about 3 days) and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about where one who is interested in fiber arts (especially weaving) might go. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Fiber arts in Tuscany

Dear JaneBLS,

Tuscany has an ancient tradition for fiber arts and weaving.

Florence has been famous for silk manufacturing since the Middle Ages. In Florence you can visit the Costume Gallery at Pitti Palace displaying a beautiful collection of dresses and accessories from the past. Then within the historical city center there are many artisans' workshops, such as Antico setificio fiorentino in Oltrarno specialized in silk and showing traditional warping machines, La Casa dei Tessuti near the Duomo that is an historical shop of fabrics with a small museum inside, Tessilarte and the Silk Foundation, organizing also several courses.

Close to Florence (about 35 minutes driving or 20 minutes by train), in Prato there is the Textile Museum, probably the most important museum for textile in Tuscany. It covers the production of textiles from pre-Christian times to modern days. Prato is renowned around the world for its high quality textiles' manufactures.

I hope these suggestions answered your question and don't hesitate to come back. :D

Fiber arts thank you!

Valentia ... thank you for the wonderful advice. We'll be there next week and I'll be sure to check out as much as I can! Appreciate your insight. Jane

Fiber arts in Florence

Dear JaneBLS,

I'm glad to hear that you found my suggestions helpful. :D

I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Florence next week and you'll share your experience with us.