First timers

AlLou

Hi
we are visiting Tuscany for the first time for two weeks at the end of Aug with our five year old. We are staying in Figline Valdarno and have a hire car, so will plan several days out. We are flying into Pisa - I'm not that fussed about the tower tbh, I think it might be a bit much on a hot day for our little one. Any recommendations or advice around iternaries would be gratefully received. I would welcome advice on the following.

music, festivals, other events - I appreciate we have probably missed most of the festivals, these seem to happen in July
cultural musts - towns, villages
beaches - maybe a day trip to Elba

I look forward to your reponses. Many thanks in anticipation.

kind regards
Allison

2 weeks in Tuscany

Dear Allison,

in 2 weeks time you can visit many beautiful places in Tuscany.

There are some areas that you must visit like Chianti, Valdorcia and Maremma. What makes unique these regions are incredible landscapes, good wine and delicious food. There you find typical and fascinating towns and cities such as Talamone and Capalbio in Maremma, Montepulciano and Pienza in Valdorcia, Greve in Chianti and Radda in Chianti.

Then you have to visit Tuscan art cities like Florence, Siena, Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano and Volterra just to name the most famous. Even though you mentioned you aren't too interested into Pisa, I recommend you visit Piazza dei Miracoli and the Leaning Tower, unless you've already visited it. I suggest you paln a day trip to Pisa spending there a couple of hours and then heading either to the coast or to Lucca for the rest of the day.

Please have a look at this article for spending 7 days in Tuscany. I also suggest you read other threads in this forum to find other useful suggestions.

Regarding a day trip to Elba Island, I think it's not really doable. From Figline to Piombino, where you get the ferry to Elba, there are about 3 hours driving. The ferry takes about 1 hour and the first one departs at 5 am and the last one from Portoferraio leaves at 10 pm. If you want to visit Elba you can plan to spend there at least 1 night and have the time to enjoy the area and have some rest as well.

For beaches you can have a look at this map about top beaches in Tuscany. As you see there many beaches in Tuscany from sandy to rocky beaches.

For events in August, of course there will be festivals and other events in Tuscany. Since it's a bit early for finding local events' calendar I suggest you look for events when you arrive in Pisa or in Figline.

Well I hope my suggestions helped you planning your holidays in Tuscany and you will share your experience with us. Don't hesitate to come back with any other question :D