One day only

lisadolly

Hello,

My sister and I are taking a Med cruise which stops in Livorno for one day. We are having trouble deciding what to do in only one day!

We want to do a short guided city tour of Florence in the morning, then lunch/wine-tasting/olive oil-tasting at a winery, and pass through Volterra on the way back to Livorno.

I have also heard about the outlet mall that we would love to go to, but it will be impossible to find the time!

Any advice on the best way to get around, and will it even be possible for us to do what we want? We arrive at 7am and have to be back to our ship by 7pm, on Friday July 23.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

car with driver or the cruise line day tour to Florence

Ciao lisadolly,

12 hours in Tuscany isn't very much but there are ways to optimize your time to make the most of it. Forget renting a car yourself and driving -- too much to adjust to -- and forget public transportation.

Your options are two:
- rent a private car with your own driver that can take you wherever you want (don't have any personal recommendations for any but you can google something like "private car livorno" to get someone based in the city to drive you out and back. Florence, wine tasting and Volterra might be doable in this way.

OR

- or take the day excursion offered by your cruise line - they all organize a day trip to Florence, you all come off from the ship and take a chartered bus that drives you direct to Florence and between having a guide and some time off, you can go shopping, see the main sights in Florence and then head back to your bus to be back in time to your ship. Of course this way you follow the tour offered by the cruise ship company so have less of a choice of what to do. Not sure if they have other day trips offered in Tuscany beyond Florence though.

Check out both options and ask for price estimates so you can decide which one you would like to do.

Thank you, Lourdes. Unfortunately, our cruise does not offer a combination Florence/wine tasting tour but we will look into hiring a driver for the day. Thanks again!