Cameras NOT Allowed

JMFell

Hi,
Can anyone tell me is there are any venues i.e. Museums, Churches in Florence where cameras are NOT allowed?

Unfortunately, the majority of museums do not allow cameras or photos inside. You can't take pictures inside the Uffizi museum although you CAN take pictures in the corridors toward the outdoors, that is to the view, for example of the Ponte Vecchio; the Accademia Gallery (all pictures of the David were taken "illegally", there is always someone patrolling and people do take pics but that first one has to be good because then they practically yell at you); for some reason within the SMN church you also can't take pictures. You cannot take pics inside the San Lorenzo church or the Medici chapels. No pics in the Pitti museums or in the Orsanmichele church.

You can take pictures as long as without flash inside the cathedral, inside the Santa Croce church and inside the cells of San Marco's monastery. You can take pics in the courtyard of the Bargello museum but not the museum's rooms. Haven't been in the baptistery in a while, can't remember that one..... the Museo dell'Opera is another museum where you can't take photos. Ah, you can take pictures inside Palazzo Vecchio, no flash of course but the rooms are pretty bright. You can take pics of the frescoes in the Brancacci chapel without flash which is really nice but light is not very bright in the side chapel, when I've tried before the pictures came out all blurry.

Ok if you have a specific museum or church in mind, do ask since I might have forgotten a major one right now!

Hi Lourdes,

I was actually wondering about The Uffizi and Accademia as the only other place I am sure I am going to is Boboli Gardens at this time. I was just wondering, since I am the kind of guy to be alking by some place and say "this looks cool, let's go in", what the common thread was for cameras. Thanks for your help it was truly apprecated.

Sounds like a good plan!

The Boboli gardens are beautiful, you'll have wonderful shots of Florence from there as well from around the Kaffehaus (which I think might not be open at the moment). Anyways, the area from which you can see the Duomo and the rest of Florence is behind the Pitti Palace, to the left of the beautiful view of the round theater in the back.

Lourdes, please tell me: if you can take pictures in Palazzo Vecchio in Florence (I made it myself, two years ago), I can suppose that the same possibility is in Palazzo Pubblico in Siena? Yes or no?

About what you said lately: in 2010, I could take pictures without problems in Museo dell'Opera del Duomo.
Something courious seems to me in Palazzo Medici-Riccardi: althought is allowed to take as much pictures you want at Luca Giordano's ceiling, it is forbidden - but very-very strongly! - to "make a move" at Benozzo Gozzolli's Cappella dei Magi... So pitty...

NO cameras in Palazzo Pubblico in Siena :(

Ciao Diana,

Yes, you can take pictures in Palazzo Vecchio but when we were last in Siena, the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena did NOT allow pictures :(
I just checked my pics from Siena, and there are no pics of the inside of Palazzo Pubblico so I remembered correctly. You CAN take pics of the inside of the cathedral and the baptistery and crypt.

Photos are also allowed in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo and like you said, the frescoes in the Cappella dei Magi are well guarded to avoid pics - they only allow small groups at a time so they can definitely watch you!!

Re: NO cameras in Palazzo Pubblico in Siena :(

Dear Lourdes, thank you alot!
What do you know about taking pictures in San Gimignano (Douomo, Palazzo del Popolo and Sant'Agostino)?

A detail about Siena: in 2010 it was allow to take pic in Douomo and Baptistery (also at Duomo), but NOT at the Crypt - I remember very well they said to me "NO, mam!"... And in Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, only in some parts, not in the principal hall, where are the main beauties...

thanks for sharing about Siena

Good to know about the differences in photographing the various places within Siena. I remember I could definitely take pictures in the Duomo and Baptistery but don't remember about the crypt or museum at all - will be in Siena at the end of the month and will pay careful attention to places that do allow photography and those that don't ;).

Not sure about San Gimignano... will see if I can find some info on the places you've mentioned or someone else can provide some feedback!

Re: thanks for sharing about Siena

Oh, Lourdes, I wish you a wonderful journey!
Anxious to hear from you what did you discover there about this problem.
I am leaving at the end of August: Florence, Arezzo, Siena, San Gimignano, Orvieto, Pisa, Lucca and Cinque Terre, for 16-18 days... with my 82 y.o. mother. :)

16-18 days sound like the right amount of time for your itinerary!

Thank you Diana-Andreia! I'll report back with any additional info that might be useful.

You have a wonderful trip planned - I hope you and your mother will enjoy everything you see in Tuscany!

Cameras in San Gimignano

What do you know about taking pictures in San Gimignano (Douomo, Palazzo del Popolo and Sant'Agostino)?

Hi Diana,

I've visited San Gimignano but not recently so can't clearly remember where cameras are or aren't allowed.

However, also looking on the Web I'm quite sure photos are not allowed inside the Duomo and I believe it's the same for the Church of Sant'Agostino.

Concerning the Palazzo Comunale (Palazzo del Popolo), I have some pics of the internal court, but am also thinking it's not possible to take photos of the masterpieces inside the palazzo.

If you have time, go to the top of the Torre Grossa to enjoy a beautiful view over the city and the surroundings (and, of course, here you'll take fab shots!).

What about the Cappella Sasseti (Santa Trinità) and the Cappella dei Magi (Palazzo Medici Riccardi) ??

Grazie mille.

João

Ciao Joao,

You can take pictures in Santa Trinita but no pictures in the Cappella dei Magi (you can take pics elsewhere during the visit in Palazzo Medici Riccardi.

Lourdes,

I've been in touch with Santa Maria Novella and Cappelle Medicee through their official websites and personal photos without flash of the inside are totally allowed.

Joao

Unfortunately, the majority of museums do not allow cameras or photos inside. You can't take pictures inside the Uffizi museum although you CAN take pictures in the corridors toward the outdoors, that is to the view, for example of the Ponte Vecchio; the Accademia Gallery (all pictures of the David were taken "illegally", there is always someone patrolling and people do take pics but that first one has to be good because then they practically yell at you); for some reason within the SMN church you also can't take pictures. You cannot take pics inside the San Lorenzo church or the Medici chapels. No pics in the Pitti museums or in the Orsanmichele church.

You can take pictures as long as without flash inside the cathedral, inside the Santa Croce church and inside the cells of San Marco's monastery. You can take pics in the courtyard of the Bargello museum but not the museum's rooms. Haven't been in the baptistery in a while, can't remember that one..... the Museo dell'Opera is another museum where you can't take photos. Ah, you can take pictures inside Palazzo Vecchio, no flash of course but the rooms are pretty bright. You can take pics of the frescoes in the Brancacci chapel without flash which is really nice but light is not very bright in the side chapel, when I've tried before the pictures came out all blurry.

Ok if you have a specific museum or church in mind, do ask since I might have forgotten a major one right now!

YES, that's right - Santa Maria Novella has for the last 1 year and a half started allowing pictures, ever since the Carabinieri left the large cloister, which can now be visited as well on special weekends!

The Cappelle Medicee, along with the other state museums, are also experimenting allowing people to take pictures for personal use, as long as they avoid the use of flash - this includes the UFFIZI and ACCADEMIA!! so great news for everyone! If all goes well, I think it will be a permament possibility.

WOW! I didnt know about Accademia and Uffizi. THAT'S AMAZING! I'll be in Florence in december and I will be able to come back with (legal) photos from David and The Birth of Venus!!!!! Thank you very much for such amazing news!

Ticket Museums

Hi Lourdes,

Maybe this is not the proper forum to ask this, but...
I will be in Florence in the Christmas week, is necessary to buy in advance the tickets to Accademia and Uffizi? Will I find long lines this time of year?

Thanks a lot again.

João

Ciao Joao,

It depends on what days - the museums will closed on December 25th for sure, and are closed on Mondays. See that this year Monday is the 22nd, so not right around Christmas they might not keep it open. Tuesdays are almost always pretty busy days, since they are closed on Mondays.... so it is pretty difficult to say with any certainty. I can say there are less overall visitors in the winter but the Uffizi is one of the most visited museums in all of Italy so you might book for the Uffizi and not for the Accademia and see how it goes.

Pictures not allowed at Galleria Palatina

Dear Joao,
for the moment it seems that you can't take pictures inside the Galleria Palatina, except for professional photos and videos - an official authorization is necessarily required. Have a look at the official website where you may find all the relative info and any eventual contact detail:
http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en/musei/info/index.php?m=palatina

"Permits: In the Museum it is not permitted to take photos or shoot videos. In special cases, authorisation may be granted by the management. For permission for professional photos or videos, apply to the Authorisation Office."

Chiara