Vacation coming up

Traveling

Hey guys,

Me and the family are about 3 weeks away from a well deserved vacation to the beautiful country of Italy. Whilst there we will be doing the tourist routes and get to see the real people, life and culture of Tuscany. Being as i have never been to Italy before is there anything i should know up front like hiking poles for tracking, places to go and see, must eat restaurants, Hotels I mean pretty much everything you can tell me about the experiences you have had. Also any information on where to get things like hiking poles for sale or any other kit we might need. We are a pretty outgoing family so we will give anything a try. It's really exciting looking online at the beautiful countryside scenery and available foods :)

While there it would be great to get to know a little bit of the language also, so any language class days we could attend would be awesome. I know of friends that have been to Italy on vacation but not quite what we have in mind with the country side hiking, site seeing etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated guys !!

shs_71006239_tuscany.jpg

Thanks

To be honest, was not sure what to reply to your original post. It is too open ended. You don't say how many days you have, whether you already have anything booked or planned. ALL of our website is about our experiences in visiting Tuscany and what we recommend, from hotels to restaurants, so take a look and read a bit throughout the entire site. If you have specific questions, that would be easier for us to reply to.

The only specific question I see if about hiking poles: you will find the usual brands and they are not cheap. You might consider bringing yours along if you already have them and really feel you'll need them. You'll need to go to a specialty store to get them, so not in the center. I would recommend Obiettivo Montagna on Via Arnolfo: https://goo.gl/maps/Qr2T3Qfh5Vo

Which makes me ask: is the vacation planned around hiking? If you're just interested in some walking, you might not need the poles at all. You're coming at the end of October-early November, the colors of the countryside are beautiful and is you get a sunny day, should definitely be spent outdoors. But in general, expect gray days, particularly in the mornings. And hopefully by lunch the sun comes out! :)

Sorry that i forgot to mention the duration i will be there, i will be there for 3 months in total traveling all around spending roughly 1 week in each destination, we haven't made plans of where yet because we are doing some research that's why i am here to see what Tuscany has to do. So at he minute i have no plans and i am ready for any ideas!!

Thanks for the reply's guys

Ideas

Buongiorno -

if you are all about walking and hiking then one of my favorite areas (though everyplace will give amaze you) is in Casentino. Between the national park, the castles, the beautiful churches and the genuinly friendly atmosphere - you just can't go wrong.

However - if you find yourself in Chianti, here is a list of my favorite resaturants in the area: http://www.chianti.com/food-and-wine/top-places-to-eat-in-chianti.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone that has helped me out, this forum is awesome lots of information and really nice people to help you out, i will 100% pass the forum onto friends and family if they visit in the future!!

Thanks guys

WOW! 3 whole months? If you get the chance, then I would do more than 1 week in Tuscany -- I think 2 weeks would do it more justice, particularly since you will have the time and are intent on spending more time SLOWLY to fully enjoy it and the local culture.

I suggest you have a car for your time in Tuscany -- it will make getting around everywhere easier, particularly the small towns.

I would suggest one week based in southern Tuscany, either near Arezzo and Cortona or in the Val d'Orcia area. You can do day trips around the entire area and enjoy the small towns without a specific plan - from Pienza and Montepulciano to Radicofani and the Terme di San Filippo to Bagno Vignoni, San Quirico, Montalcino, Buonconvento.... lots of places to explore! If you love walking, the area between Montalcino - San Quirico - Pienza - Montichiello is spectacular! You don't need poles as it is very rolling hills.

Then another week further up -- Casentino is great for hiking, but it is quite its own separate world ;)
I would stay closer to Florence/Chianti to be more central and go around the area and see the more "Tuscany hot spots" if we want to call them that: Florence, Siena, Chianti, San Gimignano.

Since you're coming in "low" season (you did say in just a few weeks, right?), you'll get to experience the local culture without many of the tourist crowds. Just be prepared to find things a bit "slow" in the countryside ;-)

As it turns out i have found loads of information on the sites you all provided for me and i just want to say a big thank you to everyone on here

This had to be my favorite trip that i have been on for a while! I want to say thank you to the amazing people in Tuscany and that you have a beautiful place to live. I will be visiting again shortly. I attended some language lessons that was an amazing experience, i got a Tuscany book to take away with me also which was a bonus.