Solo traveller

lundmeist

Hi everyone,

I've seen some amazing replies in this forum, and so Im sure you can help me!

Im in the very early stages of planning a three or four day trip to Tuscany for June 2017. I'll be coming alone and I wont be driving, so I want to know how much it will limit my options.

I love to go sightseeing, and definitely want to see Florence. However, I will also be in need of a break, so seeing everything isnt a priority, and I will be looking forward to spending my time drinking good wine and eating good food. Im a big fan of Montepulciano wine, so would like to take a tour out to that region.

So with that all that in mind, do people think it would be better to stay out of the city somewhere like Montepulciano, and take a trip in, or stay in the city and take a trip out? How relaxing is the city itself in Summer? Im happy to stay in the city if I can get away from the crowds with my wine on a roof terrace or similar.

Does anyone have advice? Its very much appreciated!!

Lundmeist x

where to stay for a terrace happy hour?

Buongiorno,

The beauty of Montepulciano is you can stay in the city center and not need a car to do any wine tasting since there are many historic cantinas in the city center! And you can enjoy being in the center at this place: http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/politian-apartments.html

However, staying in Florence gives you a bit more freedom of movement, so you might like staying at this little place, they have one room apartments and a fantastic terrace where you can kick back with a bottle of wine: https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-apartments/la-medicea-residence.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Hello Donna,

Thank you for your response!

I've decided to spend three days in Florence, and two days in Montepulciano. I've got the hotels booked, but I really could do with some advice about transport!

The trains I have looked at from Florence to Montepulciano take about three hours via Sienna, which is ok, but then the town itself is a long way from the station. What is the best way to get from Montepulciano station to the town? Or would it be better to go to Chiusi on the train and go from there to Montepulciano by bus or taxi? and how much would a taxi from either of the stations to the town be?

Karen

Getting to Montepulcinao

Buongiorno!

That sounds like a perfect vacation.

This route takes you to Chiusi - and it is about a 3 hour trip changing for a bus that will take you to Montepulciano.

You could look at traveling to Montepulciano via BUS which seems to be a bit faster - even though it has you changing buses at Bettole.

For me it is a bit of a toss up - probably I would go with the bus, only because it looks like it would take you a bit into the countryside more than the train would. BUT that only makes sense if you are traveling in the spring or summer time when you can enjoy the scenery a bit more -

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

PS I really don't know the cost of a taxi - however it seems there is Public transport which will take you to Montepulciano without having to rely on a taxi