Planning Tuscany trip and need help please

Mmillow

I plan on visiting Italy in September 2017 to include Rome, Tuscany, Milan and Turin.

With respect to Tuscany this is what I would like to do:

Stay in Florence for perhaps 3 days and 2 nights to explore Florence proper including Duomo and Museum, Uffizi Gallery and Academia, Basilico di Santa Croce, Palazzo Vecchio, national Museum del Bargello, Palazzo Medici Riccardi

Then for countryside I would like to check out Siena including Tiwer, old hospital, Duemo and back streets. I would also like to visit San Gimignano and Volterra. And visit Gartagnana and the Maremma Valley including Pitigliani, Sovana and Sorano.

Can you suggest how many days I will need in countryside, itinerary, amount of time to visit each town and where would be good locations to sleep? Also love wine and good food.

I anticipate hiring a driver each day to drive us around.

Thank you.

Travel time in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

Sounds like you have Tuscany covered from top to bottom - that is wonderful.

A possible Itin might look something like this:

3 days Florence

2 days - make your base in Siena and explore the city for one day & a day trip to Val d'Orica

2 days - move towards Montepulciano and Pitigliano, Sovana & Sorano

2 days - Maremma and the coast going up towards Volterra

2 days - Volterra & San Gimignano (these two towns can easily be combined so I would use this area to take a personal day of doing absolutely nothing except lazing by a pool and admiring the scenery)

1 day - Pisa & Lucca

2 days - Garfagnana / Lunigiana

If you have the time - this would be a perfect place to head over towards Cinque Terre.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thank you Donna, much appreciated.

I will need to condense preferably to 5 days 4 nights ( excluding my time in Florence).

So would it be possible to fit in the following and how would you recommend setting up the itinerary and which towns should I sleep in ( I would love to stay in an old castle if it has modern day amenities):

San gimignano and Volterra
Pitigliano, Sovana and Sorano/ Maremma
Garfagnana

Also how long a drive to and from these towns

Thanks for all of your help!

1 day tuscany

Hello, I appreciate all of the helpful advise on this forum. We will travel to Italy next November. I have planned 1 day to explore Florence on foot. The next day, we would like to rent a car and take a scenic drive around Tuscany. We are most interested in pretty scenery, quaint villages, a good meal - not museums, cathedrals, or extensive shopping. Would it be best to drive toward Cinque Terre via Pisa, or San Gimignano/Volterra or Siena? Or elsewhere? Will be returning to Florence that same evening.

Travelling in November

Buongiorno,

November can be a wonderful time with so much going on! Olive harvest at its peak, fall colours coming into vogue, chestnuts and vino novello.

We have a few wonderful one day itinerary ideas online for tour Florence on your own, and I highly suggest you look at the Roof Top tour of the Duomo for some time saving. If you are looking for something that will give you an overview, without stepping foot in any museums or churches you could have a look at this walking itinerary that leaves you free to do as much and as little as you like.

As for a day trip outside of Florence, remember that in November you start to lose daylight early so wherever you go you don't want to wander too far from the city. Having said that, I would suggest sticking closer to Chianti and Siena instead of heading over to Cinque Terre. One of my favorite day trip itinerary starts in Impruneta. Within the article is a suggested driving itinerary. This stop would also give you a great opportunity to check out the olive oil production if you wanted too - details included in the article.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise