good time for Tuscany/italian riviera?

coyote

I am considering a trip of about two weeks to Florence and Tuscany and would like to travel around the area, especially along the coast.

The best time for us is October, but I am concerned about the weather;
I'm not concerned about not spending time on the beach; it's more a matter of how wet and unpleasant it is for wandering, hiking, sitting outside in the evening, etc.

Is it better to try and go in September, and are there still crowds at that time?

Any suggestions about places to go along the coast would be greatly appreciated..

Grazie

Visiting Tuscany and its coast

Dear coyote,

in October the weather in Tuscany is still mild and sunny. It's not wet and rainy, because November and February are generally the most rainy months here. But of course the weather is not predictable and for this weekend, mid August, we are expecting showers ;)

So I would say that October is a good month for visiting Tuscany both the countryside and the coast. I suggest you spend 7 days touring Tuscany and visiting the main destinations and areas, such as Florence and Siena, the Chianti region and Valdorcia, as well as Pisa and Lucca.

Then, since you want to visit the coast I recommend you spend 7 days in Maremma. I personally love it :D and I think it offers almost everything:seaside, art and culture, countryside and mountain, good food and wine. The area I like the most goes from Grosseto to Capalbio. Both on the coast and in the inland there are many beautiful places worth to be visited, such as Grosseto, the Archeological Park of Roselle, Castilgione della Pescaia, Pitigliano, Scansano, Saturnia, Talamone and Capalbio. These are just a few destinations to give you an idea. :)

I hope my suggestions helps you with your vacation in Tuscany. Don't hesitate to ask any other questions, I'll be glad to answer :)

Last edited: