What to do in Tuscany for 10 days

Hello all

I will be in the Tuscany area for 10 days in May and wanted some suggestions

My friend and I will be starting off in Florence for 2 days, hopping to Siena for 2 days, then San Gimignano for 3 days and going back to Florence for 2 days before flying back home.

Accommodations have already been booked for all places. I will also have a rental car.

This will be my second time in Italy, but first time in Tuscany.
I have the usual things planned like going to Pisa and taking a day trip to Cinque Terre as well as dropping by Chianti.

What I need input/suggestions on are the activities within the region.
I'm a foodie and love wine as well anything nature related.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places that are a must visit food and drink wise.
I've gone out of my way to go places for food.
Just to give a few examples - I went to Paris to dine at Le Jules Verne and Spain to dine at El Bulli.
So anything related to that would be appreciated.
I'd be interested in taking a cooking class of some sort. Probably in Siena or San Gimignano since both look like areas where this would be offered.

Also open to other suggestions.

Thank you in advance

P.S.
Can someone explain why it's not recommended to drive to Cinque Terre. It looks to me like it would be a faster option.

Last edited:
Cinque Terre and driving

Buongiorno,

I will attack your last question first :eek:

Parking is basically your biggest problem in Cinque Terre. By time you drive park and catch a train...you could have simply taken the train from Florence. It is a long distance, and the train just means that you won't be confronting the roads after a fun and enjoyable visit. I have driven it, but then I was staying at least two days and I left the car in Levanto and used the train to go in and out of the five little towns.

Not only is driving to each one of the little towns not feasible due to parking and roads BUT some of them are best seen by boat. In fact, if you are planning to visit Cinque Terre while staying in Florence, I suggest you have a look at this tour - my colleagues took it and the article is a review of the days events.

As for food places, I too enjoy a good meal. But I am more for home cooked, local cuisine as opposed to big name restaurants. Have a look at an article I put together on my top picks in Chianti, I have eaten at all of them (except one) and my favorite favorite was La Posta (number 1) followed by Panzanella (2) and then Caminetto (6).

to be fair I really liked them all - but I found that La Posta got great reviews from family and friends I have taken there...could also be that I have always gotten great service. Panzanella has a great selection of special yet still local recipes and Caminetto mixes a great atmosphere with good food.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thank you Donna

Grazie mille Donna.

I appreciate the very detailed breakdown.
The explanation certainly cleared up my concerns.
I'll be booking a CT tour from the link you provided.

I've also saved the list of Chianti restaurants you included.
I'll definitely make an effort to dine at some of them.

If you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate it