Just starting to plan a 2018 vacation

AnnaIng

Hello! I'm at the very beginning of putting together a trip to the Tuscany region of Italy. As you know, there are LOTS of sites with varying degrees of information and it can be very confusing. Therefore, I'm coning to those who really know for reliable information.

It's just me and my husband and we plan to stay for a week to ten days. We are looking for a relaxing, comfortable stay while seeing the "true Italy" and meeting the real Italians in this area. Here are some initial questions: What city would be a good central point? Should we rent a car or use the rail system? Can you suggest a comfortable, clean, hotel? What would you suggest absolutely see while there?

I realize these are a lot of questions but hopefully your answers can streamline my planning.

Thanks!

Planning for 2018

Buongiorno,

I suggest that you divide your time in Tuscany in a few days in the city (Florence) and then one or two destinations in the countryside. Therefore you can see that 10 days would probably be the best length.

3-4 days in Florence (no car, use public transport to vist places Lucca, Pisa, Pistoia a/o Prato) book your Museum visits in advance, program time to enjoy walking the city and absorbing the "atmosphere" I suggest you have a read through this page - especially Villa Antea and Villa la Medicea.

3 days Val d'Orcia area - stunning landscapes, close to Siena, Montepulciano, Montalcino and Pienza

3 days Chianti / San Gimignano Casole d'Elsa area (an apartment like Casa Podere Monti will give you an excellent chance to meet the locals since it is within walking distance of a town)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Spring or Fall

Buongiorno,

May is a fantastic month in Tuscany. The weather is normally mild and not a lot of rain. I also really enjoy the longer sunlight hours - and of course everything is in bloom. May is often considered mid - season so prices for many accommodations are quite reasonable.

September has lately been another great month to visit Tuscany. You won't get the same long daylight hours but the weather is normally mild and added plus, many vineyards are gearing up for the harvest. Though for many places this month falls into mid season as well, you should ask to be sure.

You can even consider October, the last few years have resulted in exceptionally mild temps, good weather and October will even bring you into low season prices.

Of course every season and month has its good points (and bad) and sometimes it matters more what you want to do while here in Tuscany. If you goal is to spend time outside enjoying the scenery than these months are great. If you are more of a foodie and really like the museums then even the cooler months can be quite good.

If you have a choice I would avoid July & August - they are both heavy tourist months, high season prices and they can be exceptionally warm.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise