Travelling in Tuscany

janelrs

Hi, my husband and I are staying in Florence in September and would like to spend 2 nights in Tuscany. We have booked a third (and last night) in San Gimignano departing by train at Poggibonsi to Naples. We were thinking of hiring a car from Florence and leaving it at Poggibonsi railway station. Is this possible? or would we be better to bus and train around tuscany? We would like to stay in one spot for those 2 nights and explore from the base. We're not sure where to go and how to travel given so little time. Our key desire is to swim in a thermal pool, is there one around Siena that can be reached by bus or train? Also if we stayed in Siena can we park there with a car? Many thanks for your assistance.

2 days in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

I suggest that you rent a car in Florence - drive to San Gimignano (but not your last night, rather your first night) stay over night here.

Next day to Siena, passing through Chianti. Spend the afternoon and sleep over in Siena.

Next day travel Val d'Orcia - Bagno Vignoni, Pienza and Bagno San Fillipo for some thermal waters. Sleep at Montepulciano or area.
Catch the train at Chiusi-Chianciano Terme (to Rome and then switch for Naples) there are car rental agencies with a drop off office in Chiusi-Chiancaino. (near Montepulciano).

This will maximize your time and your traveling. Taking the train from Poggibonsi means going back to Florence...three changes... one too many!

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise