Car rental and suggested itinary

sall

Hi there, we are so excited to be travelling to tuscany in June! I have been reading the forum with great interest but wondered whether I could get some specific information. We will be travelling by train from Naples to Florence and want to hire a car from the train station and drive to our accommodation in Greve. I cant find anywhere info on car hire companies at the Florence train station and info on how to avoid the No Go zones to get out of the city. Could someone please advise me of the best way to do this and suggest some driving itinaries for the five days we will be in Greve. Thankyou so much. Sal

Ciao Sal,

I just posted the same exact links you're asking for on this other thread:
https://www.discovertuscany.com/for...e-ztl-zone-drive-monteriggioni.html#post16467
Take a look and see if it is helpful!

As far as suggestions for 5 days from Greve, you could:
- spend an entire day roaming around Chianti (Greve, Radda, Panzano, Castellina, San Donato in Pggio)
- an entire day in Siena
- day spent between San Gimignano and Volterra
- are you planning to see Florence at all, before or after or as part of your 5 days? I'd suggest at least a full day
- some down time and spend it close to where you are, roaming around the smaller backroads near Greve or by the pool ;) you don't want to forget to have relax on your vacation!

Thankyou so much

Thanks so much for the great information, it is very much appreciated. As we are staying in Greve we will be spending a day in Florence, we thought we would take the bus from Greve rather than drive. We are so looking forward to it. Also, could you please advise whether you know of any flea markets around this area. We love flea markets and would truly love to attend some in Italy! Thanks

Ciao Sall,

Yes, taking the bus in to Florence is a really good idea, saves you from driving in lots of traffic as well as looking for almost always non-existent parking!

As far as flea markets, they are often disguised as "antiques" fairs ;)
If you take a look at our events calendar, we try to mark the ones that recur on a monthly basis:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-events/calendar.html
There is something practically every weekend, from the Arezzo market the first week of every month, to the one in Florence every 3rd weekend.

In Florence, if you head to Piazza Ghiberti there are several stalls of what used to be the "flea market" area in Piazza dei Ciompi, currently being renovated. They are set up like this temporarily as the piazza gets renovated, hoping to return to their spot inside the piazza as before but not sure whether that will be happen.

Hi there, we are so excited to be travelling to tuscany in June! I have been reading the forum with great interest but wondered whether I could get some specific information. We will be travelling by train from Naples to Florence and want to hire a car from the train station and drive to our accommodation in Greve. I cant find anywhere info on car hire companies at the Florence train station and info on how to avoid the No Go zones to get out of the city. Could someone please advise me of the best way to do this and suggest some driving itinaries for the five days we will be in Greve. Thankyou so much. Sal

We are renting from Europcar on Via Borgonissanti, which is very close to the train station. It is also not in the main ZTL zone. Just looking at the map, it looks like it shouldn't be difficult to get out of town from there.